20-week-old pullet...started crowing...Looks nothing like a roo! Help

Sebrights are a hen feathered breed.

Neither Araucanas or Marans are hen feathered breeds.

Please keep us posted when you decide hen or rooster.

I will keep you posted. If this is a boo, then out of 12 chicks, 8 have been boys. What are the odds? I guess I should let someone else pick the chicks in the future.

One question--is it possible it is mimicking the crow from the actual rooster? The blue polish roo crows all day long, and this one crows right after it, but only once or twice in the morning, and never after I let it out of the coop.

Hens can crow, even when there is a rooster. Mine still crows after we got a rooster, just not as often. I know 100% she's a female. Look at the pics I posted in this thread already. She's definitely a girl and she's under a year old so Im still not sure this is a rooster.

Hens can crow, even when there is a rooster. Mine still crows after we got a rooster, just not as often. I know 100% she's a female. Look at the pics I posted in this thread already. She's definitely a girl and she's under a year old so Im still not sure this is a rooster.

Haha sophiaw00--I do hope you are right! I could use a girl...after six months of raising chicks, I've only had boys (out of 12 birds!). I have a few left that I am hoping are girls, but this is so non-exact that I just don't know.

Yeah it is weird. The crow she makes does sound very roostery. My girl doesn't crow like that, but it is very loud and drawn out and she gets into the same posture that roosters do before they crow.

Sebrights are a hen feathered breed.

Neither Araucanas or Marans are hen feathered breeds.

Please keep us posted when you decide hen or rooster.

Although some breeds are hen feathered like Campines or Sebrights, the trait can occasionally pop up in other breeds. Also, sometimes a cockerel will develop it's first adult plumage before it is sexually mature and it will be hen feathered until the next molt if his hormones are at the right level. I'm not saying that this is what's up with the op's bird, but there may be a slim chance :)

I went home at lunch to get some close ups. I doubt this is a cockerel. The feathering is completely pullet in my opinion. Yes?

I'm sorry. What breed did you say this was? Stained glass meets burning Phoenix? She is GORGEOUS! I have a supposedly Maran/Ameraucana and she is getting the pink and green iridescence on her feathers, but Inhad no idea a female could be so extravagantly colored. I'd be taking pictures of this one all day! Wow.

Well, I got rid of the crowing rooster (not this bird) last night. A blue polish that has been crowing solidly for a week or two. This morning? No crowing from Lady Mary (the bird in question here) at all. She was playing around in the nesting boxes and clucking like the other girl... we will see.

Last edited:
I swore my silver laced Wyandotte was crowing and two days later she layed her first egg. Probably what your girl is doing.

Back
Top Bottom