2012 ... hype or possibility? NOT A DOOMSDAY RANT!

LovinMyPeeps

Sees Wine Dots
10 Years
Mar 22, 2009
Heuvelton, NY
This is just a topic to discuss the possibility of the whole Mayan Calendar 2012 event. The Mayan Calender as found in The Temple of Kukulcan at the Chichen Itza Maya ruin site located in Mexico's Yucatan peninsula. The calendar ends on December 21, 2012 and the glyph that is found there is supposed to represent "profound change". Now, one can hope that profound change could mean people will wake up and spontaeously decide to live sustainably and walk carefully through nature, maybe it means we will all literally "just get along".

Most people, or the doomsayers think it means the end of the world as we know it, which seems a bit profoundly daft to me. I personally doubt that a civilization milleniums ago could be like "Hey, check this out, the worlds gonna end in 2012". If so wouldn't it stand to reason that they would have been profound enough to see their own empire fall? Why doesn't their calendar end there... maybe they kept inscribing until they ran out of paper (stone space in the temple)???

What do you think? Are you bothering to do anything in advance if they were right?

note! This is for fun, not to preach to others about religious, armageddon or end of days. PLEASE DO NOT take this too seriously, but at the same token be honest!

I for one am more aware of things like having food, and other supplies on hand. I do this mostly because the north country is prone to horrific ice storms that knock out power for weeks. Any thoughts??

I'm fairly certain the Mayan calendar does not predict the end of the world, but rather just the end of their calendar! I always thought their calendar was just like ours, except ours ends every 12 months.

In reality, the world could end at any moment! There's not enough time to worry about it! LOL

I don't plan on changing anything I do. I don't believe anything special will be happening. I think the calendar ended because they stopped for some reason and never got around to working on it.

I have watched these World Ending dates come and go.

LOL I have the same thought... they ran out of space and were like duuuude... I mean c'mon they can fortell the end of days, but were afraid of Spanish Conquistadors on horses because they were demons? Really???

Quote:
I was in Toronto at a Tragically Hip show for Y2K. and I think I outlived another one too. I've lost track
roll.png
lol.png

Quote:
Maybe by the time they got to 2012 on their calendar, their empire fell and that's why no more calendars were created after that one.

I think it's just one more scare tactic.

Worrying about it is like rocking in a rocking chair - you're moving, but not getting anywhere.

I don't know. I was raised to give people the benefit of the doubt, no matter how strange their ideas may seem. Think of the kid that found the first dinosaur bone and ran around saying he'd found a monster. I'd have believed him til I learned otherwise. In that case, the kid was right!

I won't say I believe it's the end of the world per say. Then again, I've seen several documentaries on the subject, and one quite recently was very compelling. I hadn't realized just HOW accurate Mayans had been. They followed the solar cycle so closely that they predicted every eclipse, every astronomical occurance, with such accuracy that it's a little unnerving. Let's say, just for arguments sake that they DID predict the end of the world. A reason why they didn't predict their own demise could be because the calendars had already been written when something fast took them out. And by the way, the Mayans are not truly gone. Their descendants live deep in the Amazon and some still speak the ancient Mayan languages, you just REALLY have to go searching for these tribes. Me personally, I'm going to be watching the calendar, and waiting. If I'm still here the 22nd of December (at least I THINK the 21st was their prediction date) of 2012, well, then I guess they were wrong. I suppose we won't know for sure until then because it's not like we can go back in time and ask them. It's like not believing in the Lost City of Atlantis because it's not physically viewable. There is evidence of it's existence. It's whether you want to take that evidence at face value, or nit pick it to suit your own beliefs, that's the real problem. So, if I'm here on BYC the day after the world is suppose to end, well, then, I guess the Mayans DID just run out of stone in which to carve their messages.
wink.png

Quote:
Oh my gosh! Wouldn't that be great!!
fl.gif

Quote:
lau.gif
Love the way you put it!! I heard from a former coworker, whose wife has a PhD in Archaeology with a research focus in Mayan civilization, that the calendar at ends at the end of their cycle of a certain number of years, which also ended at beginning of the winter solstice. It was something like 12 or 13 year/decades or something and each of those cycles were in a group of 12 or 13 cycles.
idunno.gif
I didn't fully understand it...I am a geologist, not an archaeologist and how they figure that stuff out is over my head.

Anywho...maybe the guy got carpal tunneling from carving on that stone for so long....or maybe he died when he got to Dec. 12, 2012. No sense in finding someone to replace him...they weren't in a situation where the calendar was gonna run out any time soon.
lol.png
tongue.png

I got four letters for you:

A E F K

Unscramble them and find out what I think.
wink.png

Really, they probably just ran out of space, or the calendars each last 1,000 years and there just haven't been any Mayans around to create another one, or they just didn't bother.

It proves nothing.

Back
Top Bottom