2012 Marans Breeder Thread !!!!

French Black Copper Marans

My FBCM are Wade Jeanne and Bev Davis lines. Adding Grishom line late spring 2012. Young roosters are looking good and I will divide hens into 2 pens by summer.

Love these large roosters. Sweet, easy boys full of confidence. A nice dark egg from the hens.

PM me for more information.

Last edited:
Hi; Ernie from blairstown,nj. My 14 yr old grandson,Tyler has been in 4H for a while.He wants to get some french Marans.Could use some suggestions.He want to show them.He is on a limited budget,we can only have hens.new town law.We have found a farm that would house our rooster,that we could have visitation with our hens to have Tyler be able to breed for quality.Which would be a good Marans to start with his 4H project? I have not been able to find any breeders for him in our area[northeast nj.]. I am writing this email for Tyler.He has some disabilities and is not able to do it himself. We can be reached at [email protected] thank you Tyler and Ernie

What is the proper name for a Golden Salmon Marans?
Just a note in response to seeing at least one breeder calling Salmon Marans a "Gold Duckwing". We cannot do the breed justice
if we persist in calling the GS variety by an improper name. Silver Salmon is a Silver Duckwing. A silver-based bird, e+/e+ S/S.
The Golden Salmon is a gold-based bird. It is a Duckwing. It is not a Gold Duckwing or a Golden Duckwing. Both these
aforementioned colors carry a silver gene. Folk within the poultry world will misunderstand what color one is breeding if one calls a Golden
Salmon Marans as a Gold Duckwing (Silver gene added), Golden Duckwing ( Silver gene added) or Red Duckwing (Mahogany gene added).
There are no hypostatic genes in Golden Salmon. The GS genotype is simply e+/e+ s+/s+(-). Any other gene added to the genotype
corrupts the variety and it is not a Golden Salmon anymore. I am not sure just why the US Marans community refuses to call Golden Salmon
as Golden Salmon. It is a fine name and acutely descriptive. In fact, we have two proper names for the Golden Salmon variety. One is
simply , "Golden Salmon". The other is the longer, and just as accurately descriptive " Black-Breasted Red cock with the stippled,
salmon-breasted hen".

It isn't funny or hip or modern to keep calling Golden Salmon by other than their proper names listed in blue above.
It just makes Golden Salmon breeders look ignorant in the face of the poultry world in general... and that's just sad.
Sincerely,
Karen Tewart

Last edited:

Just found this thread...

Sue Osio, Sterling Center Farm, Vernon, NY 13476

I have: black copper & blue Copper Marans, chicks only for now. Straight run & Sexed
I am also working on Birchen, no chicks yet for sale.

I have Silver Cuckoos too...
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom