2013 Sebastopol Breeding/Gosling Thread

Yes there is always a goose sticking their neck in and photo bombing it! While I was out there Berrie our solid blue smooth breasted gander seen I had the camera and stood right in front of me as here I am take my picture. Funny!! So I said click click and he moved on.
lau.gif

I've got some more baby pics...they are 2013, so I figured I would refresh this thread.

Liesl-

Unnamed younger ones...the solid whites are for sale.

Liesl, Boone, Artie(mama), Skye, and Alice(mama)

Boone- keeps changing color on me-

I need some advice with a Sebastopol gosling.

He's 6 weeks old and he is developing his wing feathers which are currently 3 inches long. He started having trouble supporting them, but I figured it was simply because they were heavy and that he would gain the strength in a couple of days. It's been over a week, and it's only gotten worse. On top of that, his wings started bowing outwards. I assume that it's TWT because it's not just the feathers, it's the ends of his wings that are bowing.

I admit that he probably wasn't raised optimally. A month ago, our neighbor had a raccoon attack and lost nearly all of her birds (over 40). Since then, I've been a lot more protective and I've only been letting my birds out when I'm there to watch them. They've been allowed to free-range every other day for about 5 - 9 hours depending on the day. They have a large coop filled with hay for themselves (6 ft by 24 ft) but they've had limited grazing. I've been feeding them "All Flock" pellets with 18% protein.

Have I caused his wings to become this way? and is there anything I can do to help?

Last edited:
Get that 6 week old on adult feed with less protein. Feeding too much protein to such fast growing geese can help cause TWT. Now on the wings get some horse wrap and take the wing and fold it like a chicken wing that is naked and take the wrap and go around the middle of the wing, Only the two part not the whole wing do not wrap tight. Leave on a week and take it off to see if it is any better if not rewrap it again. If yo do not get it wrapped right the first time try again.

Get that 6 week old on adult feed with less protein. Feeding too much protein to such fast growing geese can help cause TWT. Now on the wings get some horse wrap and take the wing and fold it like a chicken wing that is naked and take the wrap and go around the middle of the wing, Only the two part not the whole wing do not wrap tight. Leave on a week and take it off to see if it is any better if not rewrap it again. If yo do not get it wrapped right the first time try again.

Thank-you! I did some more research and it's definitely angel wing. Not TWT. It was probably caused by the high protein feed. The 18% "all flock" feed is the only local feed available that isn't meant for laying hens or baby chicks. I'll search for a different feed mill that may carry a different option, but for now, how should I lower the protein? and I'll go wrap his wings right now.

I'm still too over protective to be letting them out all day everyday while I'm not here. I'm in the process of building a large, predator safe run, but it probably won't be complete for another month or 2.

Back
Top Bottom