2013 Sebastopol Breeding/Gosling Thread

They are lovely! i like the colored birds more every day.
I am waiting on one of those grey-split-for-buff babies from Shellie too. Hope I have enough females to make it work next spring.
fl.gif

So am I and I hope for the first time I might just get maybe some Buffs and grey split for Buff my self.
I am going to go through my ganders again to pick what I do not need anymore and replace them with others I like more.

Hey everyone!!!!!! After years of searching and trying I finally got my first two sebastopols this spring. My chinese gander took them in since they were young, pretty big but still all fuzzy so no clue what age!!! Made my job easy, all I had to do was feed them, my boy did the rest and taught them and took care of them! They look like a male and female! But I will have to either test them or vent sex. So my question is do sebies start reproducing at one year? So like next spring should my babies start laying and mating and reproducing? Plus I have the opportunity to buy another pair, a male, or one or two more females depending on what i have. They are all 4 months old, but would it be good to have one yearling male to two or three females? What is a good ratio? I can only have a small flock, I don't think my mother, my ducks or my wallet would agree with me buying all 6 of the young geese the girl is selling or id have all of them in a heartbeat!! They are 3 boys and 3 girls. I have the space for 5 at most, but I think 4 would fit best. Please let me know what ratio(s) would work best!

Last edited:
Yes, they will breed their first year if you have a pair. I think you have better fertility if one male per one female. You can try two females with one male and just depends on the gander if he will breed one or both females. Not all ganders will mate with two females.

I like to have one gander (male) per goose (female) for better fertility. But also make sure you budget will be able to care for them properly to keep them healthy and happy.
Good luck with your decision.

Thank you! hopefully come late winter or next spring I will get some young ones! I absolutely love them and their poofy gorgeous curly feathers! Okay, it makes the most sense that 1:1 is the best for fertility. It is the fact that I think I may have siblings. One looked a bit older than the other, the one that looked younger had all down still when the larger older looking one had most of his first feathers in(no curls, still just small straight feathers). So I don't know what age or the difference between them would be. So I wont know unless I test them for gender and while I'm at it get them to tell me if they are the same bloodlines/have the same genes. Plus the tag and receipt never said pair or not! But the guy wouldn't let them go for anything but 50 each, and he always sells good quality, so I am hoping it is a pair. I vent sexed twice checking two times both times to make sure i was correct, the one is a male for sure and the other will not cooperate at all and I cannot tell. So it could be a male or female I'm just worried about having 2 males and also breeding the same bloodlines together, I don't like to do that!

Have you or anyone else ever had Sebastopol gander(s) that would mate with more than one goose?

Ohhh I can pay for the food no problem, ahaha, that is not an issue, in fact my animals are spoiled with the best I can buy at the food store and they get plenty of space(I like to give more than they need), a huge pond, 2 small pools, more grass then they could ever graze, and treats!!! I make sure my babies are healthy and happy and nothing less will do! I just like to save and I need to, I am 16 so with collage/university coming up I am just trying to keep my budget down and my profit up!

Last edited:
Yes a gander will breed with more than one female. But I like to make sure they have good fertility by just having one female. But many of the breeders put two female per gander.

Never think you are going to make a profit on your birds because the cost of feed and supplies takes it all back to care for them.

Okay, thank you, definately need to thinknit through!
Ahahahaa! I know! I do it because I love them! With the animals I havr I beak even some years but it is all worth it! It is a good way to waste/blow money on. It is just a hobby. If I make some money here and there it makes up for when I lose it! I take care of my animals. No intention to make a living off it.

LMBO! Yeah, someone told me that it will take 7 yrs to get purebred. And that would mean I'd have to keep a baby of hers, get rid of her, keep that baby's baby and get rid of it. and vice versa. I have 2 people who've said they'd take her but I'm not driving 3 1/2 hrs, 7 round trip, to go to a swap to get rid of a $20 bird. I don't have anything for sale, as I'm just getting started, so I'm 'buying' everything to get my stock. I have bred nothing. And even if I did, a lot of these swaps say you have to have papers to sell your birds there. They have to be tested. I don't even know what their talking about or how to do it or how much it'd end up costing me. So until I can get myself and my flock "established", I have nothing for sale. Just buying.

The only Sebastopol baby I kept this year. Hope it's a girl. Can't wait to see it fully feathered in.
fl.gif
The first 2 pictures are at 11 weeks old, the last 2 were taken today.

Back
Top Bottom