2014 breeding season begins, post your results

I agree with Zaz. Do the humane thing and cull it. We had one that only got worse and DW just could not let go and I felt awful for it. Finally DW went to Okieland for a few days and when she came home the keet was gone.
roll.png
and everything was fine again.

His leg twisted outwards, i tried @Dylansmom way to get him better, they were three not just this one, after taping them daily for six weeks the other two got better, but this one didn't, maybe because he was older, he was 7 weeks old when his leg started twisted.

Last edited:
I agree with Zaz. Do the humane thing and cull it. We had one that only got worse and DW just could not let go and I felt awful for it. Finally DW went to Okieland for a few days and when she came home the keet was gone.
roll.png
Well, i'm waiting for his day to come, i can't do it myself, i know he will just get worse, but he loves me, he is the only one that follows me around, and he can still sleep on the perch with the others.

When an older (over 3 weeks) chicks leg starts to rotate outward I generally suspect Twisted Tibia, could be a slipped tendon as well but usually they cannot use the leg at all with the tendon out of place. A bird that can still use the leg but continues to have it rotate further outward is TT. This is the condition that I worry about high protein diets causing. High protein = rapid growth and weight gain and this is what can cause Twisted Tibias. It is the reason I feed a lower protein starter than most do and I remove the feed overnight to prevent constant eating. I am sorry to hear that you couldn't correct that one @q8peafowl , 7 weeks is older than any of the ones I corrected. I was told the older they are the less chance they will recover. Mine were 3,4 & 5 weeks. I am really glad to hear the other 2 got better. We had 5 of these last year and all recovered completely, this year we had skinnier chicks and no rotating legs. Thank goodness!

Well, i'm waiting for his day to come, i can't do it myself, i know he will just get worse, but he loves me, he is the only one that follows me around, and he can still sleep on the perch with the others.

How bad is it? Did the taping help at all? I am like you, I have a very hard time culling them myself. The only thing I've ever culled was a newly hatched chicken chick with an open skull. I used the peroxide and baking soda gas method. I am like KKB's wife and will try and try until I drive myself crazy. This is Rodger he was one of the 5 week olds whose leg started rotating last year, he is like your's imprinted and comes running when I enter the pen.

roll.png
I learned long ago that as hard as it is it is even harder thinking about it every day till i had no choice but do what was right by the animal, i love them enough to let them go and i know some find that hard to believe but i have delt with 1000' of animals in my lifetime, it is never easy, i hold my breath and look away, i get a tightness in my chest till it is done , i use loppers to cull, it is fast i can just walk away till they have stopped kicken.

As sad as it is i have had to put down a few dogs in my life but watching them suffer was way worse after it was all said and done. I am still always left with that what if feeling
idunno.gif
still knowing i did the best thing by them, it never gets easy and knowing when is even harder sometimes.

Last edited:
I learned long ago that as hard as it is it is even harder thinking about it every day till i had no choice but do what was right by the animal, i love them enough to let them go and i know some find that hard to believe but i have delt with 1000' of animals in my lifetime, it is never easy, i hold my breath and look away, i get a tightness in my chest till it is done , i use loppers to cull, it is fast i can just walk away till they have stopped kicken.

As sad as it is i have had to put down a few dogs in my life but watching them suffer was way worse after it was all said and done. I am still always left with that what if feeling :idunno still knowing i did the best  thing by them, it never gets easy and knowing when is even harder sometimes.

Maybe because I've handled it so much it is halfway tame for a guinea. I just bring myself to cull it!:(

When an older (over 3 weeks) chicks leg starts to rotate outward I generally suspect Twisted Tibia, could be a slipped tendon as well but usually they cannot use the leg at all with the tendon out of place. A bird that can still use the leg but continues to have it rotate further outward is TT. This is the condition that I worry about high protein diets causing. High protein = rapid growth and weight gain and this is what can cause Twisted Tibias. It is the reason I feed a lower protein starter than most do and I remove the feed overnight to prevent constant eating. I am sorry to hear that you couldn't correct that one @q8peafowl , 7 weeks is older than any of the ones I corrected. I was told the older they are the less chance they will recover. Mine were 3,4 & 5 weeks. I am really glad to hear the other 2 got better. We had 5 of these last year and all recovered completely, this year we had skinnier chicks and no rotating legs. Thank goodness!

I just got back from the vet with an almost 5 month old that has a slipped tendon. She told me operating on them only worked about 10% of the time
and either it was going to learn to get around on one leg or not. Has anyone had any luck with confining them and constantly putting it back in? Or anything else?
My peas are confused, I got one egg yesterday from them and 2 today. The only thing I can think of is I started adding calf manna to their food a week or so ago. I did notice that it really increases the amount of food they eat.

Back
Top Bottom