2014 breeding season begins, post your results

I just got back from the vet with an almost 5 month old that has a slipped tendon. She told me operating on them only worked about 10% of the time
and either it was going to learn to get around on one leg or not. Has anyone had any luck with confining them and constantly putting it back in? Or anything else?
My peas are confused, I got one egg yesterday from them and 2 today. The only thing I can think of is I started adding calf manna to their food a week or so ago. I did notice that it really increases the amount of food they eat.

None of mine had slipped tendons, they just had the twisted tibias with the leg rotating outward. I am sorry to hear about your 5 month old, was it an ongoing condition or an injury that caused it?

This is him,

His leg is worse than it looks in this picture, i'm more careful with their protein, i didn't get any leg issues after these chicks, lesson learned
wink.png

This is him,

His leg is worse than it looks in this picture, i'm more careful with their protein, i didn't get any leg issues after these chicks, lesson learned
wink.png
It looks like you managed to stop the rotation, but it also looks like he probably doesn't get much good use out of it. The protein and overfeeding thing is funny, some people can feed super high protein and have no leg problems and others have them. I did as much research as I could last summer and there wasn't all that much out there. Twisted Tibia is more common in heavier bodied birds like broiler chickens, emus, etc..... I found one common thing, nobody knows why it happens to some birds and not others, but all agree slowing growth seems to eliminate its occurrence. I put this together with the fact that my incubated chicks grow much faster than my hen raised chicks, but both end up equal in size by adulthood. My hen raised ones never had a single leg problem in 20 years of breeding. I learned my lesson as well, I don't envy you being in this position. He is such a bright eyed and pretty bird otherwise.
hugs.gif

My peas are confused, I got one egg yesterday from them and 2 today. The only thing I can think of is I started adding calf manna to their food a week or so ago. I did notice that it really increases the amount of food they eat.

My cocks have their humps on their necks. Look at them on the thread I recently started, I haven't gotten any eggs though. What are you thinking is making them lay eggs?

Last edited:
My cocks have their humps on their necks.  Look at them on the thread I recently started, I haven't gotten any eggs though.  What are you thinking is making them lay eggs? 

My IBBS is 16 mo old and he has slump on his neck!!! Not only is he too young it's not breeding season!

Back
Top Bottom