2014 breeding season begins, post your results

http://www.poultryhelp.com/eggpacking.html
This web site can tell you how to package them. It cost $28.00 per pound to overnight them from your zip to mine. You will be given a form at the Post Office to fill out stating that are live eggs enclosed.

Good packing idea for smaller eggs, but I've used jumbo egg cartons before, and they will not even come close to closing with pea eggs in them, I had to tape them with a 1 inch gap along the side because it wouldn't close anymore than that. Same principal as my foam wrapping though. They will not move against each other and the whole bundle will not move within the box. Overnight shipping of 6 well packed pea eggs, would IMO be anywhere from $25.00 to $35.00, last year I shipped 6 to OH 1 state away and it was $25. Plus you have to buy packing supplies.

DylansMom when I ship my peafowl eggs I wrap each egg in bubble wrap and I use pipe insulation, just cut it to the length you need and tape it closed.

And my shipping label looks like this:

I had no idea the pipe insulation came in a size big enough to fit pea eggs into? I will have to look for that. I love the shipping labels, did you design those yourself or can we actually get them from somewhere? Great info everyone...... very much appreciated!

I've shipped quite a few in the past. None ever got broken that I know of.    :fl     You'll want to go Priority shipping or even express to hopefully get them there quickly. Both can be pricey, especially express, but at least you get a guaranteed delivery time, w/ priority there is no guarantee. I don't like packing peanuts because they settle, and I don't use bubble wrap, because I read somewhere that it can block the eggs ability to "breathe". I actually go to walmart or the dollar store and get one of those mattress toppers made out of foam. I wrap each egg individually in this foam(good thick wrapping) then I use some tape to keep them bundled in it, then all the eggs are wrapped in the foam together, this will keep them from bouncing around and banging into each other. Tape that and you end up with one big foam wrapped bundle, this goes in the box and more foam is added to fill up any empty space. I deliver to the post office, as opposed to having them picked up. The less they are "handled" by others the better. That's how I've always done it, I know we had one hatch in OR that was shipped from PA, but the less distance the better,IMHO. I'd like to hear some other people's thoughts on the bubble wrap and egg breathing thing????

I like your idea for packing the eggs!

Oooh thanks for the tips on packing eggs. I have never sent any before but I was thinking of sending some eggs to a friend this year.

celebrate.gif
got my first eggs this week. It was Momma Jane as usual that laid first. She is always the first to lay, the last to lay and the one that always tries to sit on anything that even resembles an egg.

I am very excited for this hatching season. I got a new Lyon incubator that is exactly the same as the Marsh that broke. I can't wait to try it and that Hova-Bator Genesis I got towards the end of last season. I also have the 2 new silver pied hens placed with my BS for this season. I can't wait for them to lay their first eggs. I got them right at the end of the season last year so these will be my first eggs from them.

When I ship I try to ship Post Office to Post Office. This way the eggs are not sitting in a hot truck waiting to be delivered. It is fast and easy and usually puts the eggs in transit for one day because they will be ready for pick up as soon as they arrive (So if Priority is 2 days the PO gets in in one and it sits in the PO til the next day when it gets put on the truck.) verses them being tossed around and then buried inside the truck waiting to be delivered to the house.

When I ship I try to ship Post Office to Post Office. This way the eggs are not sitting in a hot truck waiting to be delivered. It is fast and easy and usually puts the eggs in transit for one day because they will be ready for pick up as soon as they arrive (So if Priority is 2 days the PO gets in in one and it sits in the PO til the next day when it gets put on the truck.) verses them being tossed around and then buried inside the truck waiting to be delivered to the house.
Thanks for the Tip Yoda

Last edited:

When we ship package bees or queens we always have the PO hold them and call us to come and get them. For bees it is a death sentence for them to set in a sunny window of a delivery truck. Bees will overheat and die and when queens don't die from the heat they can be sterile. If I were to order hatching eggs I would do the same thing as with the bees.

We had a swarm of bees here once, that was really cool! They were here for about three days just hanging out in a bush I guess while they were trying to find a new home?

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom