2014 New York Chickenstock

I need to talk to Travis about the butchering idea. What comes to mind for me is that we don't have a regular trash pick up here or have a tractor to bury the excess body parts from the process. We bring our birds that have died out to the back field, but a bird here or there doesn't smell as much to draw in predators.

Don't be afraid to say no. It was just a thought.

I need to talk to Travis about the butchering idea. What comes to mind for me is that we don't have a regular trash pick up here or have a tractor to bury the excess body parts from the process. We bring our birds that have died out to the back field, but a bird here or there doesn't smell as much to draw in predators.

If all who butcher bring their own bag and agree to take their own trash, does that help at all?

Good idea...let's do this BEFORE lunch.  For the reason stated above and also so the sacrifices don't have to hang around long in the HOT HOT sun.  (please, please let it be warm)

I have done it both ways and it really smells less (and less chance of ruture) if you don't feed the bird you are butchering for 12- 24 hours before you do it.   For ease of plucking you will need a large pot of boiling water.  (that's where Tab and Trav come in.  Can we boil water in their house?)   I can bring my canner pot....that's what I use when we butcher.  (I'll put the potato chips inside it for ease of transport.  LOL)

I have a propane turkey fryer rig, and a HUGE pot I use exclusively for butchering, and yes definitely no feeding for 24 hours! Yuckoo
Also I can bring a killing cone or 2

If all who butcher bring their own bag and agree to take their own trash, does that help at all?

Yes I was hoping/ hinting people would take their own garbage (chicken yuck) away!

But as rancher said do not hesitate to say no if it will add extra work or stress to you day Tab! At any rate we could bring the disk and find someway to give anyone who is interested a copy

looks like a few of my goose eggs are fertile and developing pretty good.

Naked neck chicks are poping like popcorn, so let me know how many chicks to bring up there.

I can help with that butchering if you guys need an extra hand, and before you trow any of the good pieces from chicken let me know cause i just might take them ( feet,neck,heart, etc...)

Last edited:
I have a propane turkey fryer rig, and a HUGE pot I use exclusively for butchering, and yes definitely no feeding for 24 hours! Yuckoo
Also I can bring a killing cone or 2
Yes I was hoping/ hinting people would take their own garbage (chicken yuck) away!

But as rancher said do not hesitate to say no if it will add extra work or stress to you day Tab! At any rate we could bring the disk and find someway to give anyone who is interested a copy

Can't see a problem with double bagging guts and stuff and then dropping it in a dumpster on the way home. Still the other trash might be a thing to consider taking too. I expect Tab and Travis have a limit on how much trash they can dispose of? I know we do here.

I was very worried about attracting predators when butchering my own chickens.
Haven't done it on my place - just Baking's place! and she was done with the fowl for the season - so no issue at that time.

I did get a neighbor's over to go through the cow guts when we butchered the cow here - they got really ****** at me when their dog threw up a few times in their house and I just laughed. My guts, my place - your dog running free .... um ... I don't feel bad.

Now - this dog is a fox chaser - and doesn't bother the chickens - so I don't mind her running - but what she eats on the run ain't none of my concern. They are still a little cold to me and it has been nearly a year. :) ha ha

Travis said it's no problem to have a butchering demo. It won't be a problem to dump the parts out in the back field and we'll have a separate area for it so those who don't want to participate don't have to see it. I do have a big pot for water. Travis and I will not be participating. We have no desire to butcher for ourselves, but great for those who do.

We burn papers, compost, animals get food scraps, and recycle. When doing something large we drive it to the dump ourselves. I was thinking of setting up separate cans for scraps, recyclables, and trash.

Travis said it's no problem to have a butchering demo. It won't be a problem to dump the parts out in the back field and we'll have a separate area for it so those who don't want to participate don't have to see it. I do have a big pot for water. Travis and I will not be participating. We have no desire to butcher for ourselves, but great for those who do.

We burn papers, compost, animals get food scraps, and recycle. When doing something large we drive it to the dump ourselves. I was thinking of setting up separate cans for scraps, recyclables, and trash.

Thanks for being so kind. BUT, what do you do with your unwanted chickens? Do you have an auction nearby or someone who takes them for you?

Back
Top Bottom