2015 August hatch-a-long!!

To candle your eggs, shine a bright flashlight into the fat end and enjoy the show. Easy as that
big_smile.png
If they are very brown eggs you will need lots of luminosity. For best results, you want high density light in an area no bigger than the egg. I enhance the beam of my husband's hunting light by placing a roll of toilet paper over the beam. This shuts out some of the glare if the beam is bigger than the egg.

I literally used the flashlight option on my iPhone 6 and I was in the dark barn at night. Lit the egg up perfect. I'm worried though because it was an outlying egg, the hen doesn't seem to cover the entire nest because there are so many eggs. Will they get chilled and die if she sits on different eggs at different times or does she know what she's doing???
I want to look again but man she was ******. It's a guinea hen.

I literally used the flashlight option on my iPhone 6 and I was in the dark barn at night. Lit the egg up perfect. I'm worried though because it was an outlying egg, the hen doesn't seem to cover the entire nest because there are so many eggs. Will they get chilled and die if she sits on different eggs at different times or does she know what she's doing???
I want to look again but man she was ******. It's a guinea hen.
You definitely want her to be able to cover all the eggs she is sitting on. She will rotate eggs around and if she is unable to keep them all warm, then none of them will be adequately warmed and few if any will develop properly. I would remove excess eggs so she is sitting on a reasonable number.

Oh my! I couldn't help myself and snuck into the coop last night and tried to candle an egg! I actual saw an embryo! It was amazing! The hen was furious though so I won't be doing that again but wow, how far along are they if I saw a very tiny embryo in there?
It's a good idea to candle, make sure you know what a bad egg looks like!!! You DO NOT want that thing exploding. It is the worst smell ever and it spreads bacteria all over the other eggs. http://shilala.homestead.com/candling.html

Speaking of candling, tomorrow is day 7 for my first batch of eggs! I don't think I can wait until tomorrow, so I'll likely candle them tonight :p

So how was your candling?? I am late. I am setting my eggs tomorrow.

Ugh hen was off the nest so I canceled 3 more eggs and now I have no clue what I'm looking at... My eggs are dark guniea eggs so I see no veins but it looks like there are embryos - I have no idea... I got pix though
[/IMG]

Back
Top Bottom