2015 August hatch-a-long!!

holm25

Jr Chicken Wrangler
9 Years
Apr 6, 2014
MN
I know we're not to August yet but Who has set eggs for August!!?? I am setting eggs for the first week in August. Who else is going to be an August hatcher!!:D

I'm not incubating but my first hen just started setting a couple days ago putting me around the first weekend of August.

I will continue hatching Turkey eggs until my hen stops laying. Since this is my first year with turkeys, I don't really know when that will be but I anticipate September or October.

I have two Bators for this purpose. Because I only have one hen, I only get about five Turkey eggs each week. Since you aren't supposed to keep the eggs longer than 7 days, I start a new hatch every seven days. At the time of lock down, I move those eggs to the second bator. They will have hatched by the time the next batch needs to be moved to the lock down Bator.

It starts getting a bit complicated because I also throw in chicken eggs but they need a week less of incubation time. Apparently turkeys need someone to teach them to eat and chickens come out pecking and scratching.

I can't wait until next year when I will have enough hens for a full Bator.

Last edited:
Glad people r joining!! I hope u have a successful broody hatch Amber!!

Sounds like a decent setup IceAngel.

Last edited:
I haven't been on BYC in a long time. I spotted this posting and it's perfect timing. I just plugged in the incubator-Hova bator 2362N with self turner, and I am refreshing my mind on temps and humidity settings. I'm in FL.
If things are working correctly, I'll be hatching in August, too. Please reply with your recommendations.
smile.png

Oh my! I couldn't help myself and snuck into the coop last night and tried to candle an egg! I actual saw an embryo! It was amazing! The hen was furious though so I won't be doing that again but wow, how far along are they if I saw a very tiny embryo in there?

I'm in! I have 42 eggs with a hatch date of 8/1 and 42 more with a hatch date of 8/5 :)

Most of them are my own eggs, EEs, Cuckoo Marans/EE mixes (I'm hoping for some Olive Eggers), Ancona/EE mixes, Silkies and Sizzles. Then I have 13 shipped eggs, 7 FBCMs and 6 lavender Ameraucanas :woot

I can't wait until hatch day(s)!!!

Back
Top Bottom