September 2022 Hatch-a-long🌞

Does incubation count in Hatch-a-Longs?
I am not personally going to incubate, my best friend is going to put my Polish and Polkie eggs in her 'bator in a few days.
I dont like fall hatchings. I had 12 of my Polish chicks that i was planning on keeping until I could pick my own faves.... A lady wanted 3 Polish chicks and 3 buff Silkie chicks. I took all 12 of my Polish and 8 Buff Silkies to her. She let her 2 little boys pick them... I ended up giving them 2 more chicks, one of each..
We met in a DG parking lot and ended talking for a long time.
My chicks were in 2 separate crates in the shade, in the grass, close enough people could see them while driving past the store...
An older couple drove up and asked me if they were for sale.....
I was caught off guard and the lady I had met said
"Yes, they are 12.00 each".
Which they were not. She got them for 10 each. LoL...
Anyway, they bought all of my remaining chicks minus Picasso, my cross beak buff Silkie chick, that I took along for the ride, just because..
I didnt want to sell ANY, even the ones her little boys picked out..
Anyway.. I drove an hour home.. Me and little picasso crying/chirping the whole way...

Me with no Polish chicks and Picasso with no siblings...

So, here I am, about to start over...
Black with White Crest Polish
&
Black Silkie x BWC Polish

Dang.... I got a little derailed...
Anyway, does incubation count? LoL
Yes of course! Welcome!😊
You can also jump on the October hatch along, which I just started as well for chicks due to hatch in October. Whichever you like!
Love the Sikie/Polish crosses, I hatch these often as well!😍

I took my broody's two remaining eggs early this morning and popped them into my incubator. On candling, they look fully developed, and I still see active blood vessels, but no sign of movement or pipping. I'll give them another day or so; I'm not going to hold my breath, though.

Here are all 3 Silkie chicks. Last two hatched late morning. Blue one still hasn’t found its feet quite yet. We’ll see how it’s doing tomorrow. They are in the “dry“ incubator with a stuffed animal friend.
Plan to move them over to the brooder in the morning.😊
C28AD7DD-C426-41B7-9935-FB6E54F5C16C.jpeg

I took my broody's two remaining eggs early this morning and popped them into my incubator. On candling, they look fully developed, and I still see active blood vessels, but no sign of movement or pipping. I'll give them another day or so; I'm not going to hold my breath, though.
How did it go with the last 2?

We're at day 11! Candled at days 4,7 and last night at 10 and removed 2 of the shipped d'Uccle eggs at day 7. One didn't develop at all and the other had a ring of death at day 4.
It's really hard to see what's going on in the Maran eggs but the Ayam Cemani cross is an active little thing! I have video of it squirming. The second photo is one of the 6 remaining d'Uccles.

Attachments

• incubator2.jpg
    incubator2.jpg
    384.9 KB · Views: 2
  • PXL_20220913_034739689.jpg
    PXL_20220913_034739689.jpg
    265.1 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
We're at day 11! Candled at days 4,7 and last night at 10 and removed 2 of the shipped d'Uccle eggs at day 7. One didn't develop at all and the other had a ring of death at day 4.
It's really hard to see what's going on in the Maran eggs but the Ayam Cemani cross is an active little thing! I have video of it squirming. The second photo is one of the 6 remaining d'Uccles.
With Marans eggs I’ve had success candling from both ends at the same time. Can require an extra set of hands. Shine a light on both ends and you should be able to see something. You can also put the egg on a soft surface on its side and shine the light from both ends. Reduces the risk of dropping it!😊

Back
Top Bottom