May 2023 Hatch-a-long

Pics

impr3

Songster
Sep 26, 2020
Lake County, CA
I know, May is months away... But I just ordered hatching eggs and am far too excited! I love reading through the hatch-a-long threads here and am looking forward to joining in on one. Hopefully everyone's ok with me jumping the gun on getting this thread started :). The eggs will be shipped April 11 so I'm guessing I'll set them around April 14-16 depending on arrival date with a hatch date around May 5-7.

In addition to 18 chicken hatching eggs from Meyer Hatchery, I'm also hoping to get 12 hookbill duck eggs from @Ducksmom (though we may hatch those out sooner or later depending on when she has eggs available). The chicken eggs will be:
3 Black Sumatra
3 Blue Andalusian
2 Black Copper Marans
2 Light Brown Leghorns
2 Black Australorp
2 Buckeye
2 Rhode Island Reds
1 Barred Plymouth Rock
1 Welsummer

We'll be using my rather redneck DIY incubator made out of an old cooler, light bulb, computer fan, and a temperature relay switch. The turner is just a ladder shaped piece inside the incubator tray that's moved forward and back by a linear actuator on a timer (the eggs rest between the ladder rungs so they roll when the ladder moves). We did a dry hatch last time so will likely do the same again so long as the eggs aren't losing too much weight. Despite the lack of technological sophistication, we had a 100% success rate on our last hatch (minus 2/12 who proved infertile at first candling) so we're hoping for the same again :fl. Fully aware we'd be lucky to get 100% from shipped eggs, but we can hope :).

I don't count the infertile eggs. I have made many DIY incubators in the past. I currently use 2 foam ones I have had success with. My eggs sounds like the same company are coming this week. I have 11 different breeds, 2 or 3 of each them. The black sumatras are cute birds and surprisingly friendly.

I saw you had some coming in the Feb Hatch-a-long thread. Glad to hear you've also had luck with DIY incubators. These'll be our first Black Sumatras so I look forward to getting to know them better!

I just got a notice, they packed my eggs, but I will not be getting 2 Sumatra eggs since they were short. Only 22 egg coming.
Well, darn. Good luck with your 22!

Now I'm worried they may not have any Sumatras when they pack my order in April - it's my top choice breed since their flight abilities will be a good genetic input into our flock given we'll be free ranging a lot (also, they just sound really cool!). That said, I told Meyer to just pick from another breed in the order if anything is unavailable, so we'll go with whatever fate hands us.

I would not worry too much about it, I think it is just Jan. weather. Although last Sat. I told them not to replace any orders that were short, I said a refund will do. I guess they were happy to do that, also because I was not upset. I am sure I am over reaching with all the eggs I chose, but I felt I had to get at least a full doz, to get my shipment payment worth it. 10 for the first shipment of one doz, 6 dollars for the second doz.

I would not worry too much about it, I think it is just Jan. weather. Although last Sat. I told them not to replace any orders that were short, I said a refund will do. I guess they were happy to do that, also because I was not upset. I am sure I am over reaching with all the eggs I chose, but I felt I had to get at least a full doz, to get my shipment payment worth it. 10 for the first shipment of one doz, 6 dollars for the second doz.
You clearly paid more attention to the shipping details than me. Though part of me wishes I'd ordered the extra 6 chicks to fill out two dozen, the rest of me knows that would be too many chicks for us this hatch, particularly since we're hoping to hatch a dozen ducks as well.

Well you always set more than you want. They do let you add more.
True enough, though for now we're aiming to start with a small flock and big coop to leave room for the addition component of chicken math :). If this hatch has a low success rate or a ton of roos who need packed off to freezer camp, there's still plenty of opportunity to top up our numbers next year. We'll probably do 1-2 more hatches of purchased eggs after this and then we plan to spiral breed within our flock unless we feel the need to bring in new genetic material.

Back
Top Bottom