Silkie and project egg Hatch-A-Long

How is #32 Aredia doing?
Sadly, I don't think the last eggs will hatch. I candled them yesterday and there was no movement in any of the eggs. The silkie eggs and Aredia never pipped internally, and 25 had pipped internally, but for some reason never made an external pip. I left them in there yesterday just in case, but I think it's time to accept that they're not hatching. It's a shame, I was really interested to see 32 and 2 hatch.

I'll probably hatch another batch in about a month if I can sort out the turner issues in my incubator and if my hens will be laying. I added a blue cuckoo hen to my silkie pen a few weeks ago, so hopefully her eggs will be fertilized by my black silkie roo in time for the next hatch. I also still really want to try hatching some chicks from my better quality black silkie pullets.

Last edited:
Sadly, I don't think the last eggs will hatch. I candled them yesterday and there was no movement in any of the eggs. The silkie eggs and Aredia never pipped internally, and 25 had pipped internally, but for some reason never made an external pip. I left them in there yesterday just in case, but I think it's time to accept that they're not hatching. It's a shame, I was really interested to see 32 and 2 hatch.

I'll probably hatch another batch in about a month if I can sort out the turner issues in my incubator and if my hens will be laying. I added a blue cuckoo hen to my silkie pen a few weeks ago, so hopefully her eggs will be fertilized by my black silkie roo in time fornthe next hatch. I also still really want to try hatching some chicks from my better quality black silkie pullets.
That’s too bad :hugs

Aphrodite is confusing me. The down is yellow with a bit of brown on its lower back, while the wings are dark. I know I don't have any dominant whites in the parent flock. Why in the world would the down be yellow if the feathers is dark? *Sigh* so many genetic mysteries when you hatch mixed breed chicks...

Attachments

• 20240305_212716.jpg
    20240305_212716.jpg
    322.5 KB · Views: 8
I have a question, this being my first hatch-a-long and all. How long after hatching do people typically do updates on chicks?
I'd be happy to start a new thread and post weekly pictures of this year's chicks there, since I'll be taking the pictures to keep track of growth anyway. If any of you would want to, you could check in and see how the chicks are doing, make guesses on gender, etc. I could share my thoughts on them every week in terms of breeding or who I may keep. What do we think? Good idea?

I have a question, this being my first hatch-a-long and all. How long after hatching do people typically do updates on chicks?
I'd be happy to start a new thread and post weekly pictures of this year's chicks there, since I'll be taking the pictures to keep track of growth anyway. If any of you would want to, you could check in and see how the chicks are doing, make guesses on gender, etc. I could share my thoughts on them every week in terms of breeding or who I may keep. What do we think? Good idea?
I'd love to see updates on the chicks. Not sure what people normally do but I'd love to see them grow up.

Growing up threads are great, who doesn't love more chick pics? 🥰

When you make the new thread be sure to tag all us peeps :frow here from it and post the link on this thread too 😁

Back
Top Bottom