Broody hatch-a-long!!!!

Well one is a pure breed light Sussex egg, and the other is a Light Sussex & French Cuckoo Maran mix. She actually has gotten back on her nest and I gently cleaned the wet yolk off the eggs with a towel but I didn't add water as that can affect the development of the embryo. Both of them are developing and I can see their air bubbles are intact but the rest is black with only little movement. I might also go to the feed store after the other eggs hatch. So she at least feels that she has something left. If the other two break I will make sure I give her some day old chicks. Would she get depression if they all break and I don't get her chicks? It's been so difficult to get a single hen to go broody and I'm just praying that I get a broody hen next spring.
Idk how bad it would be. One of my hens went broody a few months back, and at the time I couldn't get more chickens. Well, I broke her and she is fine. Do you know how to put the chicks under her safely?

Idk how bad it would be. One of my hens went broody a few months back, and at the time I couldn't get more chickens. Well, I broke her and she is fine. Do you know how to put the chicks under her safely?
I think all I need to do is wait till it gets dark and put the chicks under her while she's sleeping and take any bad or non developing eggs.

So she's doing better today! I did candle her eggs and it seems like they are developing good. Hopefully they hatch this weekend! They started about 3 days before the second when I moved her to the feed room so they are about day 17-19 into incubation and when I candle them they are all black with some nice sized air bubbles. Not too big and not to small. I am kinda worried that she might crush or break the eggs while they hatch. Would that be a problem if she broke them while they are zipping?

So she's doing better today! I did candle her eggs and it seems like they are developing good. Hopefully they hatch this weekend! They started about 3 days before the second when I moved her to the feed room so they are about day 17-19 into incubation and when I candle them they are all black with some nice sized air bubbles. Not too big and not to small. I am kinda worried that she might crush or break the eggs while they hatch. Would that be a problem if she broke them while they are zipping?
Yes, it would be. You could put the eggs in an incubator, then put them under her at night. Put new eggs or fake eggs under her so she doesn't get up.

Yes, it would be. You could put the eggs in an incubator, then put them under her at night. Put new eggs or fake eggs under her so she doesn't get up.
Ok! I put them in my incubator and and this morning two exploded so I moved her last one back under her. I also gave her more nesting material so she isn't moving around the crate as much. I think that is why they were breaking! She did get up two times today for water and some food. Here's a pic. I hope her egg hatches! :fl
16926172434977605569831535350478.jpg

I did also candle her last egg and it seems to be getting into the hatching position and the egg is super black with a small air bubble, is that a problem if it's small? Also I just saw her slowly start getting into her crate and she was doing his clucking sound and I heard they do that like they are talking to their eggs is that true?

So today is day 20 and I'm not sure how long to give her until I make her stop? I'm thinking until day 25, is that okay? Of the chick does hatch I will probably name it Uno, I think that would be a fitting name!

Back
Top Bottom