January 2024 hatch-a-long

This may not be your situation, but...when an egg pips, they are not ready to come out of egg. Your pic is what the chick in an egg looks like after a first pip, (if they were still in the egg, but your chick is out side the egg.) that is why they normally pip and take another 24 hrs resting in egg they have more yolk sack to absorb. Some chicks pip the wrong end before they are ready to hatch. I am sorry for your chick.

Unfortunately I am well aware this baby hatched too early. And sadly it passed yesterday evening.

Also unfortunately, it looks like the other eggs that showed signs of life all quit. 14 fertile eggs that developed to at least day 18, and the only one to hatch was a chick that wasn't ready yet.

I think this will be my last attempt at shipped eggs. Started chicks cost more in the short run, but the amount I've spent on non-viable shipped eggs this past year could have bought me all the chicks I needed for my color projects from the breeders, and then some.

On the bright side, my seven home-bred eggs are day 8 and looking fantastic, and I set another two yesterday for a 1.27 hatch. My money is on my new Cuckoo cockeral as the daddy, so that will be exciting because cuckoo is my passion color.

Set eggs in turner pointed end down.

On a different note...

I am sorry about your chick just keep it in incubator. Even if it absorbs the rest of the sack, I may only live to day 5.

This may not be your situation, but...when an egg pips, they are not ready to come out of egg. Your pic is what the chick in an egg looks like after a first pip, (if they were still in the egg, but your chick is out side the egg.) that is why they normally pip and take another 24 hrs resting in egg they have more yolk sack to absorb. Some chicks pip the wrong end before they are ready to hatch. I am sorry for your chick.
Your chick looked lovely I am sorry it passed. I hope you hatch out some more of ones you want. I looked like a BCM.

Unfortunately I am well aware this baby hatched too early. And sadly it passed yesterday evening.

Also unfortunately, it looks like the other eggs that showed signs of life all quit. 14 fertile eggs that developed to at least day 18, and the only one to hatch was a chick that wasn't ready yet.

I think this will be my last attempt at shipped eggs. Started chicks cost more in the short run, but the amount I've spent on non-viable shipped eggs this past year could have bought me all the chicks I needed for my color projects from the breeders, and then some.

On the bright side, my seven home-bred eggs are day 8 and looking fantastic, and I set another two yesterday for a 1.27 hatch. My money is on my new Cuckoo cockeral as the daddy, so that will be exciting because cuckoo is my passion color.

Sorry about the bad luck and loss of the chick 😢 shipped eggs are such a gamble. You also never know how healthy or inbred someone’s breeding birds are, especially for purebred less common colors.

I also lost a chick from this hatch 😕 first time I’ve lost a chick on day 3. It was a Blue copper Marans/Dark Shell(mystic marans) mix. Poor little thing. Not sure what happened…. But I have 3 more Marans/OE hatched in the incubator

IMG_2604.jpeg

Update on the babies from Jan 4 and Jan 8 hatches. These are a just a few that were visible at the time. I think there are 35 total, so I have two brooders set up because I have so many lol…and still two incubators full of 48+ eggs 🫣 I need someone to stop me. I sold my two beautiful Wyandotte hens to make room for the future keepers 😩 I might sell a few Bresse hens, too, idk. I just want OE/EE/Marans mutts. So obsessed with colorful eggs and unique birds 🪺
IMG_2623.jpeg

IMG_2624.jpeg

10 days left until hatch for my blue bresse and I’m down to six. I’m not surprised with shipping this time of year in Canada and the time they took to get here. I do have someone local now I can get white bresse from so that’s a plus.

I’m doing kind of a gamble and replacing non viable eggs with local eggs so a majorly staggered hatch. It’s worked for me before but have not tried it to the extent I’m going to this time haha so time will tell. I really want some barred rocks lol.

10 days left until hatch for my blue bresse and I’m down to six. I’m not surprised with shipping this time of year in Canada and the time they took to get here. I do have someone local now I can get white bresse from so that’s a plus.

I’m doing kind of a gamble and replacing non viable eggs with local eggs so a majorly staggered hatch. It’s worked for me before but have not tried it to the extent I’m going to this time haha so time will tell. I really want some barred rocks lol.
I wish I could find blue bresse here! I might try to order some eggs from Germany when the weather is nicer. It’sa big gamble tho…

I went crazy with my staggered hatching too 🫣 I have 9 in lockdown now, with pips, another small set still cooking for a hatch on the 22nd, and then 33 eggs set to hatch on the 31st, half of which are being hand turned because they’re in my other hatcher (non auto incubator)…yikes. I was already looking at fancy cabinet incubators last night🤪 I just really really want those dark backcross olive eggs

Back
Top Bottom