January 2024 hatch-a-long

She started sitting on the 2nd of January so today marks her 5days in
I decided to candle them and they're all looking good and healthy

Attachments

• IMG_20240105_233334_269.jpg
    IMG_20240105_233334_269.jpg
    379.8 KB · Views: 6
Day 20+16 hours update: I have an internal pip on the egg I was sure would be first! Four more eggs have movement, but the rest unfortunately look dead.

This is the part I hate most about shipped eggs - you get right up to the finish line and then can have such a crappy hatch (With home-bred eggs I have a 95% hatch rate). Fingers crossed for at least three chicks at this point.

Day 20+16 hours update: I have an internal pip on the egg I was sure would be first! Four more eggs have movement, but the rest unfortunately look dead.

This is the part I hate most about shipped eggs - you get right up to the finish line and then can have such a crappy hatch (With home-bred eggs I have a 95% hatch rate). Fingers crossed for at least three chicks at this point.
Had the same experience with my current clutch
I had ordered 5 brahma eggs from a local breeder 2 came in cracked, 3 had already got the spider veins before being shipped but died before my girl went broody the extra 1 has no show, definitely not ordering from him again

30ish eggs in the new incubator yesterday. My B-rinsea took a mechanical nose dive, so I opted for a less expensive brand this time. Will see how it goes. If it doesn't work, I have 30 days to return for a refund.

Attachments

• 20240106_133614.jpg
    20240106_133614.jpg
    267.3 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Is that the maticoopx? I'd love to hear your opinion on it if it is.
Yes - Eggs have only been in for a day. temperature is very consistent and eggs are turning regularly. Humidity is adjusted by a little valve, which is actually much nicer than the one on the b-rinsea, which I thought was very small. I never had any success keeping the humidity level right on the b-rinsea, even with the automatic water pump - especially the last three days, the humidity just never got high enough. Anyway, I will definitely update as to how it performs.
oh - also, added benefit is the egg candling light and countdown on days in the incubator.

Last edited:
So, good news/bad news:

Good news: the chick I thought was going to hatch first hatched at about 5pm. We went from internal pip to unzipped in 24 hours. Egg was marked cuckoo.

Bad news: the chick has the biggest umbilical hernia I have ever seen. I'm hoping that somehow it's all just egg and with time at least most will absorb, but I don't think it is just egg. I have the chick in a cup to give it it's best chance, but I'm not holding my breath. I'll give it until morning to make any judgment calls.

1000013592.jpg

Set eggs in turner pointed end down.

On a different note...

I am sorry about your chick just keep it in incubator. Even if it absorbs the rest of the sack, I may only live to day 5.

This may not be your situation, but...when an egg pips, they are not ready to come out of egg. Your pic is what the chick in an egg looks like after a first pip, (if they were still in the egg, but your chick is out side the egg.) that is why they normally pip and take another 24 hrs resting in egg they have more yolk sack to absorb. Some chicks pip the wrong end before they are ready to hatch. I am sorry for your chick.

Day 5 check in and 10 look good! I swapped out one of own chicken eggs due to low probability and put in a couple barred rocks I purchased. Barred rock were the reason I fell in love with chickens (seeing people with them on my road) and I’ve never had them!

I also bought 9 day old chicks this weekend - 5 little bantam Easter eggers and 4 black orphingtons even though I wasn’t planning on the orphs…..plus two older frizzles who are in my basement with my newer silkies. Doing a bantam coop now that I sold my ducks.

Clearly chicken obsessed lol

Attachments

• IMG_5749.jpeg
    IMG_5749.jpeg
    611.7 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_5733.jpeg
    IMG_5733.jpeg
    270 KB · Views: 3
Does anyone else have eggs they are setting in January?
We have about 16 chocolate runner x white/fawn runner-pekin cross duck eggs. A few in an incubator and the rest under our broody hen, Lucy. Two hatched in December and the next group are due any day now. They're hatching at different times.

Attachments

• 20240101_164740.jpg
    20240101_164740.jpg
    620.3 KB · Views: 2

Back
Top Bottom