January 2024 hatch-a-long

Two babies on the green/blue side! One is a black and yellow penguin baby from a speckled green egg, the other a silvery blue…not sure if splash or just light blue 🤷‍♀️ i may have been mistaken about who lays those speckled green eggs tho 🤔 I guess we’ll see in a couple weeks because the 2nd incubator is practically full of them lol I could have sworn that I saw my blue pullet with the dark blue head/neck laying those speckled eggs.

View attachment 3717902View attachment 3717903
This little silver baby is so cute!!!

Today I grabbed an egg from who I think is my splash Cochin girl to put in with the bresse eggs since I had one space. I’m thinking it won’t be fertile but might as well try. Roo would most likely be my brahama ameraucana mix.

I’m officially at 1 chick hatched for January, probably 2 within the next 24 hours. Apparently, 21 days ago Now, I set eggs. It doesn’t feel like it’s been that long, but the eggs pipped today and there’s a chick out.

Both came from these beautiful dark green olive eggs, from a recently laying pullet. I had an owl attack the day before I was moving the pen my layer flock was in, kill 6 birds, and it so happened that she and one of my dear Easter eggers were killed. My mother requested I incubated the eggs I had off of each, and unfortunately the eggs from the Easter egger did not make it through incubation. The olive eggs were too deep of a color to candle, but apparently fertile, since one is pipping at the moment and one’s hatched. The father could be a Marans/ayam cemani mix, an easter egger, or A polish. I’ll be able to narrow down the judgement later on, once I pull them from the incubator.
IMG_6371.jpeg
IMG_6795.jpeg

I’m officially at 1 chick hatched for January, probably 2 within the next 24 hours. Apparently, 21 days ago Now, I set eggs. It doesn’t feel like it’s been that long, but the eggs pipped today and there’s a chick out.

Both came from these beautiful dark green olive eggs, from a recently laying pullet. I had an owl attack the day before I was moving the pen my layer flock was in, kill 6 birds, and it so happened that she and one of my dear Easter eggers were killed. My mother requested I incubated the eggs I had off of each, and unfortunately the eggs from the Easter egger did not make it through incubation. The olive eggs were too deep of a color to candle, but apparently fertile, since one is pipping at the moment and one’s hatched. The father could be a Marans/ayam cemani mix, an easter egger, or A polish. I’ll be able to narrow down the judgement later on, once I pull them from the incubator. View attachment 3718314View attachment 3718332
Sorry to hear about the attack. The green is definitely a gorgeous color!
How many did you set? I only have 12 spaces in my incubator but considering getting a hovabator to do more

Sorry to hear about the attack. The green is definitely a gorgeous color!
How many did you set? I only have 12 spaces in my incubator but considering getting a hovabator to do more
It is a gorgeous color. I set a total of 4 eggs- 2 Easter eggers, 2 olive eggs. They’re all I had from the two hens.

I use NurtureRight360s at the moment, so I can’t fit a crazy amount, but more than you. I’ve been thinking of getting a larger cabinet incubator though. The NurtureRight360s don’t hold up too well if you’re incubating eggs for months straight, which I’ve done before during turkey breeding season. Two incubators broke down completely.

Both came from these beautiful dark green olive eggs, from a recently laying pullet. I had an owl attack the day before I was moving the pen my layer flock was in, kill 6 birds, and it so happened that she and one of my dear Easter eggers were killed. My mother requested I incubated the eggs I had off of each, and unfortunately the eggs from the Easter egger did not make it through incubation. The olive eggs were too deep of a color to candle, but apparently fertile, since one is pipping at the moment and one’s hatched. The father could be a Marans/ayam cemani mix, an easter egger, or A polish. I’ll be able to narrow down the judgement later on, once I pull them from the incubator.

Sorry for your loss! 😭 but that is a gorgeous egg!! I hope you get a nice pullet from that.

I have a bunch of 4 am hatchers screaming down the hall 😵 they’re cockerels, too, because the BCM/OE(barred) and BCM/CCL are black/blue sex-links. Thanks, boys. 🙄

Results from hatch date 4th Jan 2024

31 eggs in lockdown, 4 quitters (probably quit on day 14 or so), 27 healthy chicks.

IMG_2590.jpeg
IMG_2592.jpeg
IMG_2552.jpeg
IMG_2554.jpeg

Idk where the heck the two gold chicks came from. I was checking the chicken genetics calculator for my mixes, but nothing like that was predicted. They came from green eggs. It has a few leg feathers, and pink legs like the Marans roo... 🤷‍♀️

Sadly, only 2 splash. I really hope they’re girls! I have a whole incubator full of green eggs for more chances, and 8 eggs in lockdown now for a Monday hatch.

IMG_2568.jpeg

Well, it's officially the start of day 20 for my shipped eggs! 13 eggs in lockdown and I candled as I removed the turner (I turn through day 20), only 2 I suspect of being late quitters around day 17-18, one I have my eye on for being most likely to hatch "early", and the rest I wouldn't be shocked if they don't hatch well into Sunday or even Monday.

In other good news, all seven eggs from my Splash/Blue/Blue Cuckoo pen that I set last Saturday are fertile! Hatch date for those will be the 20th. I'll set this week's eggs tomorrow, only two so far, but we've had a bit of a cold snap so that probably put them back off laying.

Here was a clutch of 15 eggs laid by both mother and daughter

Attachments

• IMG_20240102_113440_444.jpg
    IMG_20240102_113440_444.jpg
    692.8 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20231228_104751_813.jpg
    IMG_20231228_104751_813.jpg
    696.3 KB · Views: 3
Last year January was mum(lulu's) turn
That was where her daughter currently on the eggs was born, a day before valentine's
So this year is daughter(survival's) turn

Attachments

• IMG_20240105_233214_616.jpg
    IMG_20240105_233214_616.jpg
    747.9 KB · Views: 3

Back
Top Bottom