2015 August hatch-a-long!!

holm25

Jr Chicken Wrangler
9 Years
Apr 6, 2014
MN
I know we're not to August yet but Who has set eggs for August!!?? I am setting eggs for the first week in August. Who else is going to be an August hatcher!!:D

I use cartons, but I've found I can't prop the incubator. The side that's higher gets hotter and the lower side gets cooler. So, I just lean each egg one way or another in the carton. Its still quicker than turning them laying on their sides. I don't have to worry about dropping them.

I pulled 8 more eggs when I candled last night and I suspect I'll have to take a bunch more out. My cuckoo Marans eggs in my first batch all look clear, but they're dark so its had to tell still. I left them in for now. I'll probably take them out next time. I also had some quitters, blood rings. A couple of my EEs and two of my lavender AMs. That kind of stunk, but the other 4 lavs looked good (had to peak at them before day 7). I couldn't see into my FBCMs, the shells are too dark to see veins.

And I have another broody. That makes 3!

I'm not sure what your incubator is or of it would big it would be but I use a cute down egg carton with 3/4in pipe attached to the bottom so you can just rock them side to side! I do this with every hatch and have good results. I secure the pipe to the egg carton with a few pipe cleaners.

I hope this makes egg turning easier.

For a September Hatch-A-Long just start a new thread with that title.
Best of Luck, mine finally came to fruition today
1f60a.png
after some agonizing and Much uncertainty.

:rolleyes:

had one die in shell, beak through n just gave up I guess.
4 fathered by my Sarema x Silky roo n I'm assuming his patient Golden Comet Love
1 pure Heritage RIR last egg collected before trio went to new home.
1 pure ebay Australorpe I really think is a hen!

1f609.png

letting bator n eggs run for a few more hours hoping for more Australorpes to hatch. 6 out of 18 Lousy stats.

think i heard one more knocking wishful hearring? Time will tell.

Last edited:
I'm not incubating but my first hen just started setting a couple days ago putting me around the first weekend of August.

Oh P.S. My husband finally took a look today and the baby chick moved inside the egg! Totally freaked him out he squealed like a little girl and ran out of the coop, hilarious!!

WHOA! I just went to candle the eggs before turning them for the first time, and every single one has blood vessels! YES!!!!!!!
celebrate.gif

How do I know when I'm turning my eggs far enough? I still have them in the cartons to be careful. Should I take them out now? Its been 7 days.

Last edited:
WHOA! I just went to candle the eggs before turning them for the first time, and every single one has blood vessels! YES!!!!!!! :celebrate  

How do I know when I'm turning my eggs far enough? I still have them in the cartons to be careful. Should I take them out now? Its been 7 days.
. How did the air cells look when you candled? Still loose?

Back
Top Bottom