2015 August hatch-a-long!!

12 new eggs set
smile.png
6 are Paint to Paint miniature silkies and 6 are silkie bantam mix of colours from a Black roo (carrying paint), and a gold roo running with 2 paint and 2 partridge hens hatch date should be the 19th my second time hatching
big_smile.png
And it's nice to see a few from the July hatch a long think this will be my last time hatching for a while unless I decide on quail or take my turner out and hatch reptile eggs...

Reptiles are awesome. We are trying to breed some, we actually have a reptile incubator for our chickens eggs.
smile.png

I'm no expert on candling, I don't do it often, but when I candled my hatching eggs on day 6 there didn't appear to be anything in them. I only candled four, and I didn't do that good a job, but the shells are light colored so you think I would see something.

WHOA! I just went to candle the eggs before turning them for the first time, and every single one has blood vessels! YES!!!!!!!
celebrate.gif

How do I know when I'm turning my eggs far enough? I still have them in the cartons to be careful. Should I take them out now? Its been 7 days.

Last edited:
I know we're not to August yet but Who has set eggs for August!!?? I am setting eggs for the first week in August. Who else is going to be an August hatcher!!:D
hi,I've been away for a time. Joined the New Years hatch a long 2014.
I set 9 Australope and 6 home grown today 2:15 a.m.
already I'm afraid I've messed up. Eggs arrived about noon moved to hatch room n left alone till after midnight.
I did not let bator set to correct temp for 48 hours. Have had it on, after disinfecting, temp was 110. Decreased temp added water n like a dummy i set the eggs, as temp was now at correct level. Fighting urge to remove eggs n check temp again in daytime. ttfn

O.k. temp is at optimal, need to find or get another hygrometer. Impatiently waiting for eggs to settle after their journey. its been 24 hours if i turn off the auto turn they'll be alright won't they?

o.k. false start. Going to let bator normalize n give eggs more time to stabilize.
Sweet dreams n happy hatching
added another RIR egg from the shape i think will be another roo
1f612.png
bator staying @ 99.5 yay Thurs 7 - 31
one of bought eggs looks weepy, giving it a few more hours, after candle will decide.

Thursday 11:30 a.m. podted above previous comment hhhhmmmmmm
Friday egg from RIR are due for pick up sat a.m. early eve egg from mix both in bator 2 more roos (egg shape)
Weepy Arc egg wiff of rotten when walk to hatch room

Last edited:
HI! joining late! I set some shipped eggs 10 days ago. 11 went in. looks like i had a scrambled, and a few loose saddle air cells.. 7 started to develop, but 3 quit!  I am nervous and hope the last 4 hatch. 

oh and they are lav orps.  this better be my last set for the year. i have a broody hen. she has been sitting for 12 days on golf balls.. poor girl, but i am going to try to slip these babies under her when they hatch... ive done it previously.. so hoping it works this time!

why not give her a couple of the eggs n take some of the golf balls.
Incubators are fine if I had access to a broody hen it would be my choice nearly every time.
Regardless, enjoy the hatch along

WHOA! I just went to candle the eggs before turning them for the first time, and every single one has blood vessels! YES!!!!!!! :celebrate  

How do I know when I'm turning my eggs far enough? I still have them in the cartons to be careful. Should I take them out now? Its been 7 days.
. How did the air cells look when you candled? Still loose?

I have a barred rock sitting on 4 eggs (barred rock X BC Maran). Going to candle to night to see if I even have anything. This is my first time hatching... shes been on them for about 2 weeks now.

Mine should be hatching next week sometime. I'm freaking out because I am leaving on vacation as well! Two - three hens sit on the nest at a time. The royal pied always is on the nest but there is a white and a pearl that sit on it sometimes. My concern is I think the other two are laying eggs in the nest so those eggs are weeks behind the majority. Once some eggs start hatching do the hens leave the nest? Will the "younger" eggs all get cold and die? This is my first batch.

Also should I separate the main mom and babies while I'm on vacation? I can lock the inside door so all the babies will remain inside with mom and the rest of the flock can remain in the outdoor pen. Should I set up a heat lamp inside the pen for while I am away? I'm in MD and it's fairly hot here - will mom keep the babies warm at night though?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom