2015 August hatch-a-long!!

My first batch of eggs are on lockdown! Theyre due to hatch the day after tomorrow :woot
One of my broodies should be hatching very soon as well, of course I didn't date her eggs :/ I forgot. Then my second broody is due on the fifth. I'm up to 5 broodies now, by the way. Theyre sitting everywhere! I gave the last 3 EE and cuckoo Marans/EE mix eggs. Two of them are sharing a nest, the other is flying solo. Its been a little crazy around here!
My second batch of 'bator eggs is due on the 5th, getting close! And I'm down to 2 lav Ameraucana and 7 French black copper Marans on my shipped eggs :( One of the lav Am. eggs actually started leaking a few days ago, luckily they were in a carton, so I just pulled the egg and switched them to a new carton but the incubator smelled HORRIBLE for days!

I hope everyone else is doing well and that we start seeing chick pictures soon!

Mine should be hatching next week sometime. I'm freaking out because I am leaving on vacation as well! Two - three hens sit on the nest at a time. The royal pied always is on the nest but there is a white and a pearl that sit on it sometimes. My concern is I think the other two are laying eggs in the nest so those eggs are weeks behind the majority. Once some eggs start hatching do the hens leave the nest? Will the "younger" eggs all get cold and die? This is my first batch.
Also should I separate the main mom and babies while I'm on vacation? I can lock the inside door so all the babies will remain inside with mom and the rest of the flock can remain in the outdoor pen. Should I set up a heat lamp inside the pen for while I am away? I'm in MD and it's fairly hot here - will mom keep the babies warm at night though?

Yes, the mommas are likely to get off the eggs after a few days and they will go cold.

I've never kept guineas, but I'm guessing locking them in would be best, as that is what I would do with chickens, and I hear guineas aren't always careful mothers. However, they should keep the keets warm enough.

Best of luck!
smile.png

I have a barred rock sitting on 4 eggs (barred rock X BC Maran). Going to candle to night to see if I even have anything. This is my first time hatching... shes been on them for about 2 weeks now.

Sounds like you will get some pretty chicks.

Best of luck with them!
smile.png

The air sacs still aren't stable, so I'm going to keep them in the egg carton. The air sacs seem pretty big, should I increase the humidity?

So I have 2 eggs in the incubator on day 21. Still no pips or anything. I also just had delivered 14 eggs that were layed between Friday-Sunday. I want to set them but don't know if I can. I don't want to lose these eggs cause they are rare breeds. Any suggestions?

So my new incubator stopped working today. A replacement part is on the way. I should be ready to set a new batch of eggs next week. At least I'm only out a dozen free eggs from my hens and not pricey shipped eggs.

Last edited:
Is it absolutely necessary to candle eggs of mom is hatching them? Or will she kick out any "bad" eggs? I've never candled before, she's been sitting for two weeks now

So I have 2 eggs in the incubator on day 21. Still no pips or anything. I also just had delivered 14 eggs that were layed between Friday-Sunday. I want to set them but don't know if I can. I don't want to lose these eggs cause they are rare breeds. Any suggestions?

Store the new eggs in a cool room for a day (large end up) and if the other eggs don't hatch try carefully opening them from the air sac to see if they need help, have died, or quit part of the way through incubation.

Back
Top Bottom