2015 August hatch-a-long!!

Th I is my second hatch ever. Just set the eggs this afternoon. I got a thermometer that also monitros humidifiers go around. I don't have an automatic egg Turner so I'm going to have to roll them myself. I have been following a few threads about hatching with the incubator I have and am trying a few trich people suggested. Last time I lost three of the six eggs I tried to hatch very late in the process. These (like the last.batch are all from my own hens). This go around I have 32 eggs. I'm hoping to sell some of the chicks if the majority hatch.
I think I may have inebriated hens going broody which I'm so excited about.

...... I don't have an automatic egg Turner so I'm going to have to roll them myself......
I read a post that had a great suggestion for turning large quantities of eggs all at once.
You stand them up in egg cartons, fat side up......and then you use blocks of wood to elevate the cartons.....first in one direction and then in the other.

You could actually do it on the outside of the incubator if you use sponges for humidity instead of the troughs.

I use cartons, but I've found I can't prop the incubator. The side that's higher gets hotter and the lower side gets cooler. So, I just lean each egg one way or another in the carton. Its still quicker than turning them laying on their sides. I don't have to worry about dropping them.

I pulled 8 more eggs when I candled last night and I suspect I'll have to take a bunch more out. My cuckoo Marans eggs in my first batch all look clear, but they're dark so its had to tell still. I left them in for now. I'll probably take them out next time. I also had some quitters, blood rings. A couple of my EEs and two of my lavender AMs. That kind of stunk, but the other 4 lavs looked good (had to peak at them before day 7). I couldn't see into my FBCMs, the shells are too dark to see veins.

And I have another broody. That makes 3!

I read a post that had a great suggestion for turning large quantities of eggs all at once. 
You stand them up in egg cartons, fat side up......and then you use blocks of wood to elevate the  cartons.....first in one direction and then in the other. 

You could actually do it on the outside of the incubator if you use sponges for humidity instead of the troughs.

I will have to try this. It will save me from worrying about temp fluctuations. I think I have an Americana hen starting to go bloody and she is the last one I would have expected she is usually so shy skidish but now she growls and flufs up when I try to take eggs. I'm waiting to see if she will actually sit a nest.

I use cartons, but I've found I can't prop the incubator. The side that's higher gets hotter and the lower side gets cooler. So, I just lean each egg one way or another in the carton. Its still quicker than turning them laying on their sides. I don't have to worry about dropping them.

I pulled 8 more eggs when I candled last night and I suspect I'll have to take a bunch more out. My cuckoo Marans eggs in my first batch all look clear, but they're dark so its had to tell still. I left them in for now. I'll probably take them out next time. I also had some quitters, blood rings. A couple of my EEs and two of my lavender AMs. That kind of stunk, but the other 4 lavs looked good (had to peak at them before day 7). I couldn't see into my FBCMs, the shells are too dark to see veins.

And I have another broody. That makes 3!

I'm not sure what your incubator is or of it would big it would be but I use a cute down egg carton with 3/4in pipe attached to the bottom so you can just rock them side to side! I do this with every hatch and have good results. I secure the pipe to the egg carton with a few pipe cleaners.

I hope this makes egg turning easier.

I'm not sure what your incubator is or of it would big it would be but I use a cute down egg carton with 3/4in pipe attached to the bottom so you can just rock them side to side! I do this with every hatch and have good results. I secure the pipe to the egg carton with a few pipe cleaners.

Awesome idea. I actually invested in an egg turner. It was the best $99 Canadian that I ever invested. Pop em in and just watch temp and humidity. Come lockdown I move them to a new Bator.

I'm so excited! This is my first time hatching eggs in an incubator, I usually use hens. However, I bought some eggs from Ebay, 8 Orloff eggs, and am so excited to hatch them! They just came today.
I'm going to put the four healthiest looking eggs under my broody and take the eggs she has been brooding and putting them in the incubator with the other 4 orloff eggs.

Best of luck to all hatching in August!
smile.png

I had a similar idea using angle brackets that I epoxied to the carton, but I never used it because of the change in height, putting it closer to the element bar in Hova-Bator, would overheat the eggs that were closest.

Mine probably sits a little higher than your's due to the thickness of the bracket

I know we're not to August yet but Who has set eggs for August!!?? I am setting eggs for the first week in August. Who else is going to be an August hatcher!!:D

Mine are due August 7th! It's my first time in forever to hatch in the incubator so I am trying not to get my hopes too high, but I am really excited!

Back
Top Bottom