2015 August hatch-a-long!!

I'm joining the party! I will be setting 2 dozen shipped Salmon Faverolles this weekend. It'll be my first time using my Brinsea Octagon 40 Advance EX. I'm pretty excited. I'm hoping for a BIG change from the LGs and Hovabator Genesis I'm used to!

That is so exciting! I hope to get Salmon Faverolles some day.

Today is day 7 so I candled all 14 of my eggs. 1 I think the person who sent them to me mislabeled. It looks like the air cell is on the wrong side. But the egg doesn't have a " pointy " side. So I decided to relabel and turn it upside down. It had a bit of a detached cell so I will leave it like this for a few days then recandle and see where it's at. I have 3 questionable including one I think has a blood ring. But all the rest have def veining. A few I could even see the whole embryo and even some I could see the eye. It was so awesome

I had one that I had set upside down... it didn't have a pointy end so I guessed. I realized when I candled at day 11 that I had done that and flipped it back over. Checked again at day 13 and saw the little guy in there moving around, so I don't think it made any difference. I'll just watch that one really carefully for malposition issues during hatch time. Of course, mine weren't shipped so it wasn't detached. I wish you the best of luck with your special egg. Also, 7 days is super early, don't toss anything yet!

Another time, if you have late hatchers at day 24 that you think are goners, (or if there is any chance of a mix-up on the dates, try the warm water test first to see if they are still viable, watch until they steady from putting them in, then watch for wiggles. Might save you and them from opening too early, and the moisture won't hurt them if they are at least day 18 and have suitable sized air cells as long as they have not pipped externally. If you can't see any movement from the air cell end with a bright light for candling and in a dark room, this is another idea before opening them up.

Hope all is going well with little Early Bird!
that's very helpful to know. thanks.

My three weak babies are all walking, eating, and drinking on their own! Its a true miracle!
celebrate.gif

My three weak babies are all walking, eating, and drinking on their own! Its a true miracle!
celebrate.gif

Congrats!!!

I have 3 days until lockdown... I'm DYING over here!!! Why is this the LONGEST 3 weeks ever??? I will not candle again until lockdown... I will not candle again until lockdown... I will not candle again until lockdown...

I had one that I had set upside down... it didn't have a pointy end so I guessed. I realized when I candled at day 11 that I had done that and flipped it back over. Checked again at day 13 and saw the little guy in there moving around, so I don't think it made any difference. I'll just watch that one really carefully for malposition issues during hatch time. Of course, mine weren't shipped so it wasn't detached. I wish you the best of luck with your special egg.  Also, 7 days is super early, don't toss anything yet!

Thanks. any questionable eggs I'm gonna leave in till I'm 100% sure. I don't want to toss any keepers on accident.

So i finally got a thermometer to see if the Brinsea is working and no wonder I've had absolutely no eggs develop! The Brinsea is set to 99.5 degrees F but the new thermometer is reading at 74.3 degrees F! I will candle the eggs under my broody tonight to see which eggs I will move to the incubator. I originally placed 3 eggs under my broody and 4 in the incubator. I candled on day 6 and found that the incubator was faulty so I moved the incubator eggs under my broody and because of this I now have her original eggs on day 12 and the incubator eggs on day 6.

Congrats!!!

I have 3 days until lockdown... I'm DYING over here!!! Why is this the LONGEST 3 weeks ever??? I will not candle again until lockdown... I will not candle again until lockdown... I will not candle again until lockdown...

I have just two days until lockdown for my 8 eggs and I can't wait! I'm so excited!

Back
Top Bottom