2015 August hatch-a-long!!

Do you guys have room for another? :) I set 18 BBS ameraucana eggs, 10 BBS marans eggs, 12 rhodebar eggs and 3 bantam cochin eggs on August 9th at 10 PM so I am expecting an August 31st hatch. Which is also my 18th birthday so that will be cool to have birthday chicks

I totally understand about the multiple and unknown hatch dates! So embarrassing for me when everyone else on here has much closer to clockwork precision figured out! Haha!

If they have pipped into the air cell, that's when they start peeping. I'm gonna guess within 24 hours they will pip externally and then it will get louder. Mine lately have been pipped 24 hrs before they start zipping, and some longer, and only the fact that they seem stronger and louder and active and responsive to clucks and other peeps has enabled me to resist the urge to 'help them' to death! I have learned so much on this forum! Thanks to all the ladies for sharing their experiences, both veteran and newbie, both good and bad. Helps me reduce the number of sad situations I will have!

As to the unknown hatch date, I just found about 14 in the tractor tire sand box/junk pile last night and from candling, some have some obvious development due to our over-100 degree days like ***bbgranch*** said, so all of them are in a warm outdoor place for today so I can get the current hatch over and put them in the incubator. It won't hurt them to have 1 day of high humidity this early, so I may layer them on the bottom and cover with a non-slip liner and put the other hopefuls on top till I have time to water-test them.

Good luck on the hatching and keep us posted, hopefully with some pics! God bless!
Thank you so much for the info! I am going crazy not knowing what is going on. I was showing my son's girlfriend the eggs and she heard them chirp and her eyes got really wide. she was so excited. Wanted to know how I kept from looking in the window all the time. (didn't tell her I was) ha ha I have my handy flashlight out and I think one of the eggs has a very very small crack. Like a pin point It was an egg that was just moving around earlier so hopefully that is a great sign. so exciting!
thanks again

My chicks were preemies, so I held them for a few hours and then put them in a small brooder. They were in intensive care for the first day of their lives. However, I hear you can take them out as soon as they can sort of walk. Just make sure they don't stumble into their water.

Mine start cheeping a day or so before hatching. When they start getting quiet is when you should worry, as they are loosing energy. Sounds like you've got some strong, healthy chicks.

Best of luck!
smile.png
Thanks, I am so excited to see this happen... sure hope I don't have to help them and all make it out ok. I think there is a little crack in one of the eggs and it wasn't one of the eggs I thought would hatch first. Open, Open, Open.. lol

Do you guys have room for another? :) I set 18 BBS ameraucana eggs, 10 BBS marans eggs, 12 rhodebar eggs and 3 bantam cochin eggs on August 9th at 10 PM so I am expecting an August 31st hatch. Which is also my 18th birthday so that will be cool to have birthday chicks

Welcome! I have a chick due on the 15th and another on the 21st :D Can't wait to see what colors you end up getting!

Do you guys have room for another?
smile.png
I set 18 BBS ameraucana eggs, 10 BBS marans eggs, 12 rhodebar eggs and 3 bantam cochin eggs on August 9th at 10 PM so I am expecting an August 31st hatch. Which is also my 18th birthday so that will be cool to have birthday chicks

Awesome!
woot.gif

My chicks are do to hatch on my brothers birthday, with is tomorrow!

Best of luck!

Welcome! I have a chick due on the 15th and another on the 21st :D Can't wait to see what colors you end up getting!

Thank you :) sounds like you have some fun ahead of you as well. I can't wait to see what colors come out either I'm really dying for some blue marans!!

Awesome! :woot

My chicks are do to hatch on my brothers birthday, with is tomorrow!

Best of luck!

Awesome! A happy birthday to him!! And a great day of hatching to you :)

Update on my Broodies eggs: so when I went into the coop earlier today..... There was the 3rd black snake this year!!!!!!
1f621.png
1f621.png
1f621.png
. I kill them. All of my chickens,including one of my broody mamas,was in the run. But good ole Gabby stood her ground and was still on her eggs!!! She has one banty about 3/4 of the way out. And one internal pipped egg. They aren't due til tomorrow so it's going well. I put moth balls out around the coop and run months prior when I came across the first 2 black snakes. Over time,they begin to dissolve. And with last nights rain,they were about gone. They really do keep the black snakes away as long as you replace the old with new. That was my fault.....he ate 2 of Wilsons fertile bantam eggs. Waaaaaaaahhhhhh!!!!!!!!
1f62d.png
1f62d.png
1f62d.png
. It will NOT happen again. Thank you Lord that all of my remaining chickens and chicks are ok.
263a.png
And a big congratulations to all of you new parents!!!!!
1f600.png
1f603.png
1f604.png

Last edited:
So I have a chick that is having trouble getting one leg under herself. She hatched early this morning and hasn't been able to walk (waddle) properly. I know someone had a similar problem here not long ago but I cant find the post or any of the suggestions on how to help. Can anyone help?

I like to use a cup, with a paper towel in the bottom to keep it from slipping around. Just overnight should do the trick. Make sure the other babies can't get into that cup!

Back
Top Bottom