2015 August hatch-a-long!!

Chicks are due tomorrow, but apparently mine always come on day 20. Locked down on day 17, and left the house day 18 in the evening. Came home today, noon day 20, to 7 chicks and another popped out15 minutes later! I still have 2 zipping, at least 2 others just pipped, an theyre not due til tomorrow!
My RIR's also hatched a day early, and now one of my RSL's has hatched a day early, the others are pipped. They are larger eggs though.

Has anyone imprinted with their babies?
2764.png
Mine will cry until I come back or put my hands in with them! At night ill have to stop by & poke my head in otherwise they'll wake up everyone
1f602.png

Yes!! My Hope was just like that. I'd take her out and cup her in my hands up against my chest. It's the sweetest thing! You're their mama!
2764.png
So I have a beautiful bantam chick! And 2 more internally pipped banty eggs. And 1 hen egg. Not sure what kind yet! Day 21 tomorrow so hopefully I have lots of babies in the morning. So impatient!!!

My other babies are taking longer to hatch. Off and on all day. Which is good. Midnight will be the 21 day mark. So, they are due to hatch pretty quick here, with three already hatched. :)

I imprint with the ones that need special attention. Like my baby that needed assistance yesterday. It started waking up more this afternoon. I have been holding it and feeding it electrolytes. It just snuggle right down in my hands. Has the sweetest little face, even though it's the same looking face as the others, it looks different to me. :D

Has anyone imprinted with their babies?
2764.png
Mine will cry until I come back or put my hands in with them! At night ill have to stop by & poke my head in otherwise they'll wake up everyone
1f602.png

Imprinting does have its pros and cons. I hand feed some of my babies so they will be friendly but sometimes they get really attached. One of my 10 day old Silkies seems like she will only eat off my fingers. Yesterday she kept crying but seems better today. I want to make sure she is eating enough, it looks like she is my second Paint Silkie which I am super excited about.

Imprinting does have its pros and cons.  I hand feed some of my babies so they will be friendly but sometimes they get really attached.  One of my 10 day old Silkies seems like she will only eat off my fingers.  Yesterday she kept crying but seems better today.  I want to make sure she is eating enough, it looks like she is my second Paint Silkie which I am super excited about.
Aww soo cute and funny
1f60d.png
1f602.png

My chick,Hope,was rejected by her mama.
1f62a.png
. Her sister was pecked to death and she was next! I got her out of there. And I was raising her. She was very attached. Me too though.
1f60f.png
1f426.png
. I think it is ok to help the needy who would otherwise die without it. More than likely anyway. My thought was... Ok I'll get her big and strong. And have her around the bigger more aggressive hens yet protected. So they can slowly adjust. Then,at some point,when I think they're ready to be together,I'll introduce them physically. Supervising everything!!! Plus we women have a God given maternal instinct. You can't escape it! Just try to do what's best for her in the long run. God bless!
PS... Does anyone else here just love it when they TWUR?!!!
1f425.png
such a beautiful sound. It's a mix of a tweet and a purr..... Twurrrrrr twur
1f424.png

Last edited:
10 dats till hatch and I'm suddenly thinking the shipped eggs are wrong side up in the bator. Had another egg securely stuck to the turner, and broke. Screen n plastic tray outside to be cleaned n replace. Upon picking up n turning over doesn't seem a big difference as to "pointed" end. They were packed n shipped with marker dot down, so that is how they were set in turner.n how they remain except for maybe two hours rhey wre other end up.
I'm so confused on this hatch. Will be amazed if i get any chicks at all. 8 days to lock down, humidity constant about 50l Damp new wash cloth in incubator. 10 days +/- till I know for sure. Feeling lost. Good night

I'm sorry for the frustration and helplessness you're feeling. That's got to be really hard. I do not use a bator. I have my broody hens. So I'm sorry I cannot help you there. I know that someone will soon! Just thought I'd let you know I'm concerned too and I'll be praying for you and your babies. God bless.

Gloryjasmine,
Thank You for the kind words - that does help. I haven't had a broody hen that stayed and actually hatched for too many years.
I am certain a drop in the temps and a good night sleep will have me back to more hopeful /accepting (zen) attitude towardsc
Enough, Thank you wnd have a Wonderful day..
1f60e.png

Back
Top Bottom