2015 August hatch-a-long!!

First baby looks like a little BO or BOxRIR!

Last one hatched out this morning... Final tally is 15 chicks of the 20 that made it to lockdown. My roo i thought wasca bsl, but since every black chick is barred, im thinking he must have 2 barring genes. Ended up with 13 black chicks with white spots on their heads and 2 yellow chicks. It'll be interesting to see them all feather out.

Last one hatched out this morning... Final tally is 15 chicks of the 20 that made it to lockdown. My roo i thought wasca bsl, but since every black chick is barred, im thinking he must have 2 barring genes. Ended up with 13 black chicks with white spots on their heads and 2 yellow chicks. It'll be interesting to see them all feather out.
A barred rooster can pass his barring to all his chicks, both male and female. It doesn't matter if he has one barring gene or two. The barring gene is dominant and will override other genes.

A barred rooster can pass his barring to all his chicks, both male and female. It doesn't matter if he has one barring gene or two. The barring gene is dominant and will override other genes.

Yes but a bsl should only have 1 barring gene, which he should pass on to half of his chicks, right? None of my females are barred, so if all of the chicks are he must have 2, so he cant be a bsl? Or is that wrong?

Yes but a bsl should only have 1 barring gene, which he should pass on to half of his chicks, right? None of my females are barred, so if all of the chicks are he must have 2, so he cant be a bsl? Or is that wrong?
Chicken genes don't work like mammal genes. They are rarely inherited in neat 50/50 splits. Dominant genes are usually inherited in more of a 75%/25% odds. One batch of chicks is hardly conclusive. It just so happens, that this batch of chicks got the barring gene. It might not happen like this again.

Has anyone imprinted with their babies?
2764.png
Mine will cry until I come back or put my hands in with them! At night ill have to stop by & poke my head in otherwise they'll wake up everyone
1f602.png

I have one that is 4 weeks old and he is just learning he is a chicken...we slowly introduced him. He is currently in a cage beside some bantams which he is Americauna and almost the same size. They don't have access to each other but are "co-exisiting" quit well. He has always had a small stuffed bunny we have kept with him.

I'm so lost. This is what my one chick looks like. The leg is stuck strait out behind it. I got her to take a little water feom a dropper and tryed to get her to eat some wet feed but sit isn't intureated in that. Its alert and trying to get around but cant. Its been almost two days now. Do I have to splint it or wrap it?

Poor thing. I would try bracing it in the proper position and putting the chick in a "chick playpen" so that it can eat and drink and remain standing. Make sure it doesn't over-heat. Save-a-chick and intensive care helped my weak chicks with bad legs get better in a couple days.

Best of luck!

Back
Top Bottom