2015 August hatch-a-long!!

I haven't been through what you are describing yet but I believe I saw that thread too and they separated the chick to keep others from pecking on him and to see if he'll absorb it. If I remember correctly the chick didn't make it but I wish you luck. I'll be crossing my fingers for you!
Hi, I found the thread and it doesn't look good for the little one but luckily no other eggs are due to hatch for a couple of days so hopefully that will give him enough time in the bator to maybe absorb the rest of the mess. He is really active right now and other than the bulge off the back end he is acting like the other chicks that hatched a couple of days before him. sure hope he pulls through.
thanks

Hi, I found the thread and it doesn't look good for the little one but luckily no other eggs are due to hatch for a couple of days so hopefully that will give him enough time in the bator to maybe absorb the rest of the mess.  He is really active right now and other than the bulge off the back end he is acting like the other chicks that hatched a couple of days before him.  sure hope he pulls through.
thanks 

An active chick is always a good sign! I'm cheering for him!

Well my little one has hatched but is not in great shape.  I was worried because of the long time having the pip open and so much liquid / blood.  He is out of the shell but has a big blob hanging out of him like he hasn't absorbed all the yoke sac or something.  It is kind red and not yellow so I am not sure what this is really called but I did see someone else on one of the threads had this issue .
Now I am desperately trying to find that thread and see what I need to do to help the little one.. or do I leave him alone and he will slowly absorb it?  Kind of has a think thread that is still attached to half the shell that is being dragged around too but I think that might break off when it dries some more.

Anyone been through this and no what to do?
thanks

First off,I'm so very sorry about your lil guy. It is devastating when they're finally here,and then you think they might already be leaving you. My heart truly breaks for you at this moment. I did have a chick with this exact same thing. I believe it is mostly an unabsorbed yolk sac. Mine had a little blood too. I agree to separate it. I've noticed,the chicks even like blood. And once they get a taste,they'll all be on this poor guy. Also I've heard to not remove it. As it could kill the baby. I feel bad even telling you my end experience........ I don't want to further discourage you. But..... Mine did pass away. I'll be praying for your peace of mind and for your baby's health. God bless.

PS...go to the advanced search box and enter this issue specifically. It might pull up the thread yall are referring to.

Last edited:
GITABOOKS: HERE ARE MY PICS OF THE CHICKENS I WAS REFERRING TO.

This is my bantam Roo,Oliver. Is he an English Game?

This is my hen,Alley. Who I now think is my rooster,Alley-oops! I also think that he is the one fertilizing my eggs. I haven't personally seen him crow. However,I have been hearing an odd crow in the mornings. I just attributed this to my little bantam trying to clear his throat! And my bantam Roo struts around "cookadoing ",as I call it
1f60a.png
,all day!!!

This is my precious little bantam hen,Bella. Or as my husband calls her,"iddy bitty" and "half pint"!
1f618.png
Is she any specific kind of bantam?

Thank you so much for your help.
1f604.png
1f604.png
1f604.png

Nice looking chickens!

Alleyoops is a great name!
gig.gif
And yes, he is a rooster.

The top rooster and the bottom hen are either Old English Game or else Dutch bantams (if they aren't cross-breeds). The two look pretty similar to one another, so it can be hard to tell them apart.

Nice looking chickens!

Alleyoops is a great name! :gig And yes, he is a rooster.

The top rooster and the bottom hen are either Old English Game or else Dutch bantams (if they aren't cross-breeds). The two look pretty similar to one another, so it can be hard to tell them apart.

Thank you ma'am!!! I bought both of the bantams together. They love one another so much. I now think that he is mating with her only! And Alley-oops
1f601.png
1f60a.png
is mating the other larger hens. He was a lot smaller when we got him. And with him came another identical hen(So we were told). She passed from a cold.
1f62a.png
I really appreciate your help along with your time. Thank you dear.
1f618.png

Oh one more question! The one bantam chick ,that has corrected her walking issue on her own,is now pecking the, day or so, older chicks beak!!! Repeatedly! What is her deal? There's a little red mark there now. Is this the beginning of the "literal" pecking order stage? Should I do anything? I just hate seeing her pick on the other. When she was dragging her butt around,the older one didn't bully her!!! Grrrrrr
1f621.png

Last edited:
I ae a qustion (concern)
lockdown is Monday evening. I hear a tapping, that i think ix one of the eggs, i chirped atvit - no responsd, but the tapping goes on.
Is this what is meant by internsl pipping? Also quite concefned with "mushy chicks" and "shrink wrapped chicks".
My flashliht not working and light o my Tablet of no help. I'm ignoring them on purpose till the morning. I don't want to make myself crazy over something I can't really control.
Live at / below sea level, start of incubation humidity read 75%, consistently mid 50's why am concerned with mushy chick syndrome.
Any n All input would be greatlu Appreciated. Especially how to handle the tapping. Thanks So much.

Hi, I found the thread and it doesn't look good for the little one but luckily no other eggs are due to hatch for a couple of days so hopefully that will give him enough time in the bator to maybe absorb the rest of the mess. He is really active right now and other than the bulge off the back end he is acting like the other chicks that hatched a couple of days before him. sure hope he pulls through.
thanks

I'm thinking it will absorb it, or enough of it. Sometimes they do hatch early, and have a bit of a bump on the navel area. Should be fine though. If it dries with some on it, don't worry about it, it won't bother the chicken in the future. And, you won't see it. :) Let us know how it is doing. :)

I ae a qustion (concern)
lockdown is Monday evening. I hear a tapping, that i think ix one of the eggs, i chirped atvit - no responsd, but the tapping goes on.
Is this what is meant by internsl pipping? Also quite concefned with "mushy chicks" and "shrink wrapped chicks".
My flashliht not working and light o my Tablet of no help. I'm ignoring them on purpose till the morning. I don't want to make myself crazy over something I can't really control.
Live at / below sea level, start of incubation humidity read 75%, consistently mid 50's why am concerned with mushy chick syndrome.
Any n All input would be greatlu Appreciated. Especially how to handle the tapping. Thanks So much.

You are right, don't worry over them. And yes, if you are hearing tapping, or a clicking noise, you have an internal pip! This is great news! Even though early...although, it may take a day to make an external pip. Hold on, here come the babies!

Back
Top Bottom