2015 August hatch-a-long!!

Oh one more question! The one bantam chick ,that has corrected her walking issue on her own,is now pecking the, day or so, older chicks beak!!! Repeatedly! What is her deal? There's a little red mark there now. Is this the beginning of the "literal" pecking order stage? Should I do anything? I just hate seeing her pick on the other. When she was dragging her butt around,the older one didn't bully her!!! Grrrrrr
1f621.png

Some chickens just really like to peck at their siblings. I had one that would really go after the wings and toes, grabbing them and pulling at them like they were a worm to eat or something. He never caused injury. And yes, "she" turned out to be a he. Her name was Shirley, but now its Sher Khan. He's a handsome boy, and I hope to keep him.

Some chickens just really like to peck at their siblings. I had one that would really go after the wings and toes, grabbing them and pulling at them like they were a worm to eat or something. He never caused injury. And yes, "she" turned out to be a he. Her name was Shirley, but now its Sher Khan. He's a handsome boy, and I hope to keep him.

Awww ok.....yea I think this one might be a he. The wings are not as long in length as the other. So I've named them..... The bully is Andy. And the sweet one is Sable. I try to pick unisex names so that it won't matter what sex they are. So just let them hash it out? I thought about putting a lil dab of polysporin on there but I did not for a few reasons. One,I don't want to cover any breathing holes! Two,I don't want Andy to get it in his mouth! And three,well.... I thought I should seek the advice of someone with more knowledge than I and possibly just stay out of it. It's hard though. I automatically want to stick up for her and help her. But,I reckon she needs to learn on her own....as long as it's not a dire situation. Very clever on the name change,my dear!
1f609.png

I ae a qustion (concern)
lockdown is Monday evening. I hear a tapping, that i think ix one of the eggs, i chirped atvit - no responsd, but the tapping goes on.
Is this what is meant by internsl pipping? Also quite concefned with "mushy chicks" and "shrink wrapped chicks".
My flashliht not working and light o my Tablet of no help. I'm ignoring them on purpose till the morning. I don't want to make myself crazy over something I can't really control.
Live at / below sea level, start of incubation humidity read 75%, consistently mid 50's why am concerned with mushy chick syndrome.
Any n All input would be greatlu Appreciated. Especially how to handle the tapping. Thanks So much.

When the chick pips internally,you can see a slight disturbance in the shell that resembles cracks. But the cracks don't go all the way through the shell. Just partially. And then of course the external pip is when they've actually made it through to the outside of the shell. And are no longer breathing through the air cell but breathing in oxygen. The tapping you're hearing is in fact the chick working on the internal pip!!! Sometimes,I can hold an egg to my ear and very very lightly tap with my nail a couple of times. (Do not shake the eggs!) And I'll hear a very sweet chirp. Other times,I hear nothing. Don't be down about that though. The lil guys are just hard at work! I'm sorry I do not know the answers to your other questions. God bless!

Last edited:
I'm thinking it will absorb it, or enough of it. Sometimes they do hatch early, and have a bit of a bump on the navel area. Should be fine though. If it dries with some on it, don't worry about it, it won't bother the chicken in the future. And, you won't see it. :) Let us know how it is doing. :)
Thanks for the words of encouragement. The bator is a mess! I had put him in a little paper bowl last night to kind of contain him a bit and keep the mess down. Little stinker got out of that and managed to get all over the bator and other eggs that were in there. This morning I gave him some water and a sponge bath because he was getting really crusty with all the dried on goo. The blob that he was dragging behind is not as big and not bleeding or oozing any more so maybe he will absorb it and I can just try to get some food and water into him while he recovers in the bator.

First off,I'm so very sorry about your lil guy. It is devastating when they're finally here,and then you think they might already be leaving you. My heart truly breaks for you at this moment. I did have a chick with this exact same thing. I believe it is mostly an unabsorbed yolk sac. Mine had a little blood too. I agree to separate it. I've noticed,the chicks even like blood. And once they get a taste,they'll all be on this poor guy. Also I've heard to not remove it. As it could kill the baby. I feel bad even telling you my end experience........ I don't want to further discourage you. But..... Mine did pass away. I'll be praying for your peace of mind and for your baby's health. God bless.

PS...go to the advanced search box and enter this issue specifically. It might pull up the thread yall are referring to.
HI, how long until after hatch did it take for your little one to pass away with this issue? He (hoping for a she but we will call him He) is climbing around and chirping and the blob has stopped bleeding / oozing and seems smaller today. He is still in the bator and after his sponge bath, drying off. I had to clean the bator out really quick because he was such a mess and didn't want the other eggs in there to get contaminated. The reason I ask how long it took for him to pass away is because I am trying to leave him in the bator as long as I can and I have another few eggs due to hatch Monday. Hoping he will be doing better at that point.

HI, how long until after hatch did it take for your little one to pass away with this issue?  He (hoping for a she but we will call him He)  is climbing around and chirping and the blob has stopped bleeding / oozing and seems smaller today.  He is still in the bator and after his sponge bath, drying off.  I had to clean the bator out really quick because he was such a mess and didn't want the other eggs in there to get contaminated.  The reason I ask how long it took for him to pass away is because I am trying to leave him in the bator as long as I can and I have another few eggs due to hatch Monday.   Hoping he will be doing better at that point.

Hey...you know,it was within a day. So the fact that your baby is alive and making progress says, to me,that he has a chance! That's awesome! And I have read that when the yolk sac is fully absorbed prior to hatch,that it can sustain them for 3 days. So if it seems as though he's absorbing it,he might not be hungry or thirsty. Yet! I'm hoping for your babe to pull through this and thrive!!! Praying continuously.
1f64f.png
1f618.png

Back
Top Bottom