2015 August hatch-a-long!!

I'm sorry for your feeling of failure. I do know how discouraging that is. I was recently raising a beautiful chick,named Hope,who was rejected by the mother. I was out ranging with her one day and I accidentally sat slap on her!
1f62d.png
1f62d.png
1f62d.png
Needless to say,I killed her. You want to talk about chick murderer!? I too felt like I failed her and extremely guilty. I know it's not exactly the same,but the outcome was. Dead chick. Please,try not to be so hard on yourself. You'll only succeed in being a failure if you do give up!!!! Take this as an experience,a lesson learned. And move forward! Which you're doing,good job. I know everyone here has had a similar experience,and similar feelings of self doubt,discouragement and failure. But it's what you take from each experience and how you progress with those lessons learned! We're all rooting for you!!! God bless.
1f64f.png
1f64f.png
1f64f.png
1f60a.png
very well said I agree 100%
1f601.png

I'm sorry for your feeling of failure. I do know how discouraging that is. I was recently raising a beautiful chick,named Hope,who was rejected by the mother. I was out ranging with her one day and I accidentally sat slap on her!
1f62d.png
1f62d.png
1f62d.png
Needless to say,I killed her. You want to talk about chick murderer!? I too felt like I failed her and extremely guilty. I know it's not exactly the same,but the outcome was. Dead chick. Please,try not to be so hard on yourself. You'll only succeed in being a failure if you do give up!!!! Take this as an experience,a lesson learned. And move forward! Which you're doing,good job. I know everyone here has had a similar experience,and similar feelings of self doubt,discouragement and failure. But it's what you take from each experience and how you progress with those lessons learned! We're all rooting for you!!! God bless.
1f64f.png
1f64f.png
1f64f.png
1f60a.png

Thanks you very
Much for your words of encouragement. I'm hoping in the next day to have at least 1 baby hatch.

every hatch is a learning experience. i used to have terrible hatches too. you pick up as you go. did your homemade bator have a thermostat? if not, i can almost guarantee thats why youve hae bad hatches. also, i wouldn't even buy the crow collar if I were you, that thing is stupid expensive. there is a video on youtube if you type in crow collar and this guy made his own with velcro and it muffled the crow even better than the crow collar

I agree that I think it was since I didn't have a thermostat. I did buy one that now does cause those were my thoughts. I also saw that video so I bought the Velcro on Amazon and have with all my chicken supplies.

I will keep everyone updated on my progress tho. Thanks everyone again for the pick me up!!!:hugs

I had a question.
I tried the dry incubation method and both times it seemed to dry out the poor chicks until they looked like mummies. It also dried out eggs that weren't going to hatch. Right now I have my humidity around 40%, is that a good idea? Also, the eggs seemed too cool at 101 F so I put it up to 102 F (its still air). Will that harm the eggs at all?

This is why I don't run complete dry incubation. I put a shot glass in my bator and that brings the humidity to 30-35% which is perfect for large fowl. anything under 30 is too low in my opinion unless your hatching bantams. then 25% should be okay. what is the normal humidity percentage when you run dry?? also, I wouldn't go past 101 on a still air.
X2

1f62d.png
1f62d.png
1f62d.png
1f64f.png
1f64f.png
1f64f.png
1f60a.png
goodpost.gif

This is why I don't run complete dry incubation. I put a shot glass in my bator and that brings the humidity to 30-35% which is perfect for large fowl. anything under 30 is too low in my opinion unless your hatching bantams. then 25% should be okay. what is the normal humidity percentage when you run dry?? also, I wouldn't go past 101 on a still air.

Thanks for the answer.
smile.png

I'll lower my temperature.

They are bantam eggs, and my dry incubation one time was around 35-45%, it went up and down depending on when I added water and the other time I didn't have a hydrometer.

Since this is my first time incubating eggs I'm so nervous. I've got a total of 15 in the incubator but seems only 5 were ever developing and now I think I'm down to 4. I know the brown eggs can be hard to candle but figure I would at least see a black dot for the embryo if it was present. Anyway, last night had a sleepover at my dads with the kids and came home to what looked like someone had bumped the incubator (eggs were out of place) so I candled them to check for damage. I got great videos of movement in 4/5 but one I think has quit since I last candled on day 7, this is day 11.

Trying to post from my phone so not sure if pics will work but please confirm if this is a quitter..

I have 4 babies. What? Black! One white. From a leghorn egg.. of course. I wanted black, I got it..two more working on getting out, then that's it for this batch from my flock. Had 6 go into lock down, will have 6 from the looks of it. Wow, what a difference in having your own eggs..not shipped. I have 12 of the same in another bator, oh boy, more blacks..I am guessing these will get the golden neck. Having come from a Marans. I see brown spotted areas on the first one that hatched.

Back
Top Bottom