2015 August hatch-a-long!!

I had quite the sunday! Last night I found my muscovy hen off her nest. She must have been off for quite some time. Eggs were cold. 2 ducklings had hatched but were dead. 1 duckling was dead and stuck half way out of the shell. It had a deformed/broken bill so I didnt open the shell just put it in the garbage. 11 eggs went into a cold incubator. Luckily I hadnt put it away yet. 1 duckling hatched overnight and there were 5 other pips. This morning I hear peeping from the garbage can. Amazingly the duckling with the deformed top bill survived all night in the garbage. My DH and myself were sure it was not breathing when it came into the house last night. Now there are 4 ducklings hatched with 4 more pips/zipping. Babies are sleepy but seem ok. The will to survive is a mighty force.

I had quite the sunday! Last night I found my muscovy hen off her nest. She must have been off for quite some time. Eggs were cold. 2 ducklings had hatched but were dead. 1 duckling was dead and stuck half way out of the shell. It had a deformed/broken bill so I didnt open the shell just put it in the garbage. 11 eggs went into a cold incubator. Luckily I hadnt put it away yet. 1 duckling hatched overnight and there were 5 other pips. This morning I hear peeping from the garbage can. Amazingly the duckling with the deformed top bill survived all night in the garbage. My DH and myself were sure it was not breathing when it came into the house last night. Now there are 4 ducklings hatched with 4 more pips/zipping. Babies are sleepy but seem ok. The will to survive is a mighty force.

Praise the Lord! Yes it is! God is the Great Physician! I'm praying for all of your strong lil babes.
1f64f.png
1f425.png
1f425.png
1f425.png
1f425.png
(so sorry about the passing.
1f62a.png
)

Last edited:
@Gloryjasmine
Well this is only my second hatch and we just started with chickens this spring but there were 8 of them last time and they were just fine. Yes they're in a brooder in our sun porch (the new chicks). I think i might do the stuffed animal tomorrow but right now I have to get to bed. They're so cute its amazing I forgot how tiny some of our other chicks were especially the self blue oegb I have she's such a sweetie. Will have to take pics tomorrow but I swear one of these chicks has a bigger comb already. Boy? I hope not I know the odds are against it but I've got my fingers crossed for two pullets. We have enough roos especially bantams but need more hens. And my self blue is so sweet itd be wonderful to have more like her. She flew up to my shoulder today and started talking to me :)

Ok sounds good. I do as well.
1f634.png
1f634.png
1f634.png
I was actually going to ask you if it was alright if I send pics tomorrow? The babes,Sable and Andy,are snoozing away! Under ,Brea,their frog mama.
1f438.png
1f618.png
I hope you have a wonderful night sleep and a very blessed morning.

Hey hon,sorry I'm just now getting to you. So busy today. I'm working on sending pics now.

Okay thanks no problem. I completely understand. It's been quite the day around here too starting with this morning my kitten whom I've raised since day old after her family was killed by a lawn mower stuck her head through a slit in a box and almost suffocated. Thank God I had gotten up to pee and hadn't fallen back to sleep yet. So I heard her meows that grew more panicked and feeble. She is twelve weeks and sleeps in our room. It was a perfect storm in a good way. Even though I got to her within 30 seconds to a minute her eyes seemed a glassy and and it took a few minutes to truly get a response from her(which were purrs). I can't imagine how awful it would have been if I hadn't heard her.

And that is why women think of the worst. I was sobbing. And she was just like "thanks Mom good morning let's play!"

I'm glad they seem to be doing well! Congrats on the babies!
woot.gif

7 healthy babies (this is being incredibly optimistic). Ducklings did lots of shivering after hatch. Moved them to the brooder. Its warm in the brooder. Made sure Oscar(garbage duckling) had a drink. 1 has an issue staying on his feet(ends up on his back). 1 more pipped egg, pipped after I put it in the bator. Crazy!
Silkies outside hatched 8 for 9. Put the last egg under another momma. So 4 silkie eggs left to hatch in the coop. 1 duckling left to hatch inside. Trying to work on my "4 Sale" list tonight.

Okay thanks no problem. I completely understand. It's been quite the day around here too starting with this morning my kitten whom I've raised since day old after her family was killed by a lawn mower stuck her head through a slit in a box and almost suffocated. Thank God I had gotten up to pee and hadn't fallen back to sleep yet. So I heard her meows that grew more panicked and feeble. She is twelve weeks and sleeps in our room. It was a perfect storm in a good way. Even though I got to her within 30 seconds to a minute her eyes seemed a glassy and and it took a few minutes to truly get a response from her(which were purrs). I can't imagine how awful it would have been if I hadn't heard her.

And that is why women think of the worst. I was sobbing. And she was just like "thanks Mom good morning let's play!"

I don't even know where to begin.....that sounds devastating.
1f629.png
My cats are my sons. I would just die. I've actually had to give one of my cats mouth to mouth. I'm all in with my animals so I completely understand. So I have pics but for some reason,I can't get the option to add them! Grrrrrr

Back
Top Bottom