2015 HALLOWEEN Hatch-a-Long, Join us IF YOU DARE!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hatcher set up...check
Brooder clean and ready for chicks...check
Camera fully charged..check
No scheduled appointments for the next few days so I can stare at eggs in lockdown...check!

If chickens fly into the dogs area they are gotten. dogs have a fenced area, chickens have their own runs and coop areas and kids have an area between both lol
That's smart to put the kids in the neutral zone, so at least the chickens have a chance if they fly into the kids' area. Unless the chickens are gotten when they fly into the kids' area too!
lol.png

All this incubating, candling, pipping and hatching talk is making me sad. It's just too cold here in winter to brood chicks outside, and I am not raising chicks in the house over the winter!

Come on, spring!

A big word I forgot to mention Sally about Spina Bifida prevention. Folic Acid!

You find it in leafy greens, and of course, they really really insist on the mother taking her prenatal vitamins because there is a lot of folic acid in them now. Eating healthy. It take 3 months for the baby to develop to it's full body function, then, it just grows. While the body it taking shape, the spine starts to close up, from the top, and from the bottom, and should meet together completely. At times, it doesn't meet up, and close all the way. It's according to where it doesn't close, and how much the spinal cord is left uncovered, as to how much damage is done. My son's opening is at L5. He is paralyzed from the waist down.
Scovy, your spinal cord must not have been involved..exposed? Just your spine/bones involed..a space in there somewhere.
There is Spina Bifida, and Spina Bifida with Myelomeningocele..they just use the short cut..Spina Bifida for it. My son's spine was out when born.

Thanks all for the comments. Had to get that out there. It's been a while since I've gone and spoken on it. Used to do that a lot. Here is good. Just for today.
tongue.png

Last edited:
All this incubating, candling, pipping and hatching talk is making me sad. It's just too cold here in winter to brood chicks outside, and I am not raising chicks in the house over the winter!

Come on, spring!

I hear ya..and I have 30 EE's after these 6! I do have a nice Nursery Hutch they can go out to when a couple of weeks old..and, I won't be keeping them all, will be selling some .. ha..most to those that have a way to keep them warm!

My eggs are in lock down, trying to keep the humidity around 50 for these silkie/frizzles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom