2015 HALLOWEEN Hatch-a-Long, Join us IF YOU DARE!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Correct, not normal.  I had a really porous old LG that would not hold humidity, and ended up with turkey poults with dry membranes.  I got rid of the incubator afterward but during that hatch, oil helped the ones that were trapped by an overlarge, overdrawn air cell.
Thanks! I'm just preparing. I lockdown on Friday..... we all know the neosporin would magically disappear if I need it at some point! I'm praying I don't need to assist at all. My air cells look small on my EE eggs but great on my others. I was running 30-35 humidity the last couple days and now it has dropped to about 27. The good air cells still look okay. Is it okay to let it run lower to try and help out the EE eggs?

Thanks! I'm just preparing. I lockdown on Friday..... we all know the neosporin would magically disappear if I need it at some point! I'm praying I don't need to assist at all. My air cells look small on my EE eggs but great on my others. I was running 30-35 humidity the last couple days and now it has dropped to about 27. The good air cells still look okay. Is it okay to let it run lower to try and help out the EE eggs?

My air cells are also small on my EE's. :/ I am on day 14.

Wait and see how they do, not sure if you are in lock down? I don't worry about the humidity so much in LF. I will have it around 25 to low 30's during incubation.

Oh, if you are in lock down..you will want the humidity up, regardless of how they look. Around 60% is where I keep mine.

Last edited:

My 2 chicken alarms. The pointer mix guards the outside, while the little terrier alerts me when chirping starts happening in the bator.
Toooo cute! I have a Schnoodle. Doesn't alarm me at the sound of chirps, but sure does alarm us when someone just drove up the driveway, or walked up the sidewalk. Not sure why we have a door bell.

My air cells are also small on my EE's.   :/    I am on day 14. 

Wait and see how they do, not sure if you are in lock down?  I don't worry about the humidity so much in LF.  I will have it around 25 to low 30's during incubation. 

Oh, if you are in lock down..you will want the humidity up, regardless of how they look.  Around 60% is where I keep mine.
Thanks!

So I candled all my eggs, 24/27 have visible veining and 2/3 of the inside is darkish. I couldn't see veining in my Cuckoo Maran eggs, but they had the same level of darkness in the shell. Air cells are about the circumference of a penny on all the eggs.

@ronott1

@Sally Sunshine

Last edited:
A big word I forgot to mention Sally about Spina Bifida prevention. Folic Acid!

You find it in leafy greens, and of course, they really really insist on the mother taking her prenatal vitamins because there is a lot of folic acid in them now. Eating healthy. It take 3 months for the baby to develop to it's full body function, then, it just grows. While the body it taking shape, the spine starts to close up, from the top, and from the bottom, and should meet together completely. At times, it doesn't meet up, and close all the way. It's according to where it doesn't close, and how much the spinal cord is left uncovered, as to how much damage is done. My son's opening is at L5. He is paralyzed from the waist down.
Scovy, your spinal cord must not have been involved..exposed? Just your spine/bones involed..a space in there somewhere.
There is Spina Bifida, and Spina Bifida with Myelomeningocele..they just use the short cut..Spina Bifida for it. My son's spine was out when born.

Thanks all for the comments. Had to get that out there. It's been a while since I've gone and spoken on it. Used to do that a lot. Here is good. Just for today.
tongue.png
I'm sorry hun, it's been a while since I've bothered with descriptions on it, I was just told recently when pain had gotten so bad that I had diagnostic & then these spinal shots for pain. I'm told there's an opening in lower lumbar & that I have cord that is exposed somewhat due to spine that hadn't fused or covered. It's supposed to be cartilage covered as an over compensation. I'm told it's very minor than what it could be. My mother didn't get the test before I was born. I was told it's a SB & Spondylolisthesis thing. Sorry if I'm not very clear, I wasn't explained clearly as it is all minor than what that doc usually does surgery for.

So I candled all my eggs, 24/27 have visible veining and 2/3 of the inside is darkish. I couldn't see veining in my Cuckoo Maran eggs, but they had the same level of darkness in the shell. Air cells are about the circumference of a penny on all the eggs.

@ronott1

@Sally Sunshine
Are you hatching on schedule for a Halloween hatch? If so, then you are likely ok. You will not see veins in Marans eggs at this time and you will have a hard time really seeing the air cells.

My guess is that the air cells are much bigger than you think they are. You really cannot do much about now anyway.

Next time go by moisture loss, ie, weigh them and find the average weight loss over the hatch. That will be a better guide for dark eggs that you cannot see into.

fl.gif
Happy hatching!

Are you hatching on schedule for a Halloween hatch? If so, then you are likely ok. You will not see veins in Marans eggs at this time and you will have a hard time really seeing the air cells.

My guess is that the air cells are much bigger than you think they are. You really cannot do much about now anyway.

Next time go by moisture loss, ie, weigh them and find the average weight loss over the hatch. That will be a better guide for dark eggs that you cannot see into.

:fl   Happy hatching!

The eggs are about 4.5 days along. I don't have a scale to weigh them but I will get one before I do this eggain. The humidity has been about 35 percent as recommended. I think I'm going to try and raise it up though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom