2015 Peafowl Hatching Support Group - Eggs and Chicks!

Pics
So excited. My peahen laid her eggs and sadly lost them. They are free range. Well she laid more eggs which is what she did last year to when I took her babies to raise them. I took the eggs gave them to my broody chicken. And they are hatching as we speak.

Does anyone have any pictures of opal peachicks? My little ones are almost two weeks old now and I'm still not sure of their color. They are either opal or IB split to opal.
If they are brown and black, they are IB splits. If you share a photo, we can confirm, but you'd pretty much know if they were opal... they'd be silvery white/brownish.

Photo of an opal chick on this page: http://www.unitedpeafowlassociation.org/OpalPeafowl.html

If they are brown and black, they are IB splits. If you share a photo, we can confirm, but you'd pretty much know if they were opal... they'd be silvery white/brownish.

Photo of an opal chick on this page: http://www.unitedpeafowlassociation.org/OpalPeafowl.html

Here's a picture when they were about three or four days old:

They're not really silvery white but they aren't really brown and black either. Thanks all for the pictures!

Last edited:
Does anyone have any pictures of opal peachicks? My little ones are almost two weeks old now and I'm still not sure of their color. They are either opal or IB split to opal.

IB split to opal will be brown, Opal will be light gray.

Opal in the front

Opal in the front, excuse the feather picked neck, and IB Pied in the background see how brown they are compared to his gray coloring.

Opie

You should be leaning towards IB split to Opal.
Does the IB split opal show something of the opal coloring as a baby? Because the pic looks too light to be a normal IB. Of course, it doesn't really look opal, either...

Pyxis, any more recent photos in better lighting?

edit: I put three pics together- first from the UPA site of an opal peachick (though the flash definitely washed out the color and the pic is in different lighting than the other two), Pyxis' photo of their chick, and one of Beep, who is a blue (split/dark pied), in case it helps for comparison. (wondering if maybe her chick is just a very light split or a split that is w/e?)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom