2016 Gosling Hatch-a-long

Serv,

Much to my surprise, my buff Toulouse (nondewlap) hatched out four babies (3/4 toulouse & 1/4 african) late Sunday night. The father is my original gander (african/toulouse) who is supposed to be in his teens. Who knew he could still get the job done so well! I will post pics later tonight.

As for planned hatches, my buff dewlap's two eggs are on day 18 should hatch in about 12 days. Then my 1st set of white African eggs in my bator are on day 11 and my 2nd set of white/dewlap eggs are on day 4 so they have a long way to go.

Serv,

Much to my surprise, my buff Toulouse (nondewlap) hatched out four babies (3/4 toulouse & 1/4 african) late Sunday night.  The father is my original gander (african/toulouse) who is supposed to be in his teens.  Who knew he could still get the job done so well!  I will post pics later tonight.

As for planned hatches, my buff dewlap's two eggs are on day 18 should hatch in about 12 days.  Then my 1st set of white African eggs in my bator are on day 11 and my 2nd set of white/dewlap eggs are on day 4 so they have a long way to go.

Sounds good! Wonder what the babies will look like. Teenage ganders these days are so hormonal so no surprise it's fertile :D
Seeing cross breed geese is really fun since you never know what you will get!
The buffs are pretty close so! Haven't seen them as goslings ;)
The whites have a long way to go hope all goes good I've a few pics of the baby buffs!

Here they are the first batch.
4 buffs and I guess you guys know which the crossbreed is :D

Take any infertile eggs out. Goose eggs require more humidity than chicken eggs. Do you have a diagram of how the air cell should look according to which day? That will tell you if your humidity needs adjusting.

I candle eggs 7 days apart, and at lockdown.
So, I candled them again today so that I could get a better look at the air cell. I haven't been able to find a good (that I can read!) photo diagram of goose eggs. I have been using duck egg candling as a gauge, but not sure that it's exactly the same (and of course the days will be different.) Here are two pics from tonight. Sorry for the lovely (sarcastic) photography and pencil drawing, but I need 3 hands and only have 2 while I'm doing this. All of them are very similar. I took one with light at air cell end, and one with it at the opposite end. The "10" is obviously 10 days and today is 18 (the very faint line near the top is day 0). Do they look right or do I need to lower humidity?

Never saw this comment! Yeah I help them out of the egg too if they hatch at the pointy end but the time it died was when I was asleep so I couldn't help.
Hair lip? Think my African gosling had that before but died.
Is that when they oversized heads?

Hair lip is when the lip or In this case the edge of the bill is missing and the nostril is one big open hole. I have a pic of mine I will have to find it and post it. The oversized head is usually hydrocephalus, water on the brain.

Oh my goodness. They are adorable! Just love buff babies!
love.gif

Haha re teenage hormones. You must be thinking he is a youngster, but what I meant to say is my gander is at least 10 years old and still getting the job done.
th.gif

Good morning I posted to the wrong thread earlier. So hopefully I don't get in trouble for double posting.

I had asked a question that I don't need an answer to.
But here is a little background. Last yr I incubated 4 African Toulouse eggs and hatched 4 of those I have one left. In the summer I bought a pair of American Buff geese from the fair. She began laying eggs in late February. I set the first 5 in the incubator about 33 days ago. Along with 19 duck eggs of the 19 duck eggs at lockdown I still had 5 goose eggs and 6 ducks eggs. One duckling I had to assist to hatch over the weekend at 30 days. It didn't survive but 24 hours. My one gosling started to hatch two days ago and finished this morning.

Outside in the duck/goose pen. My Mrs Goose is setting on 6 of her own eggs in the duck house. And the ducks are laying eggs in the goose house. I am not exactly sure how long she's been sitting full time but I think hers should hatch within the next 10 days or so.

So I haven't seen any pipping out of any of the rest of the eggs in there and I don't know how long I should leave it to figure itself out.
The new gosling is peeping in there and every now and then I hear it moving around. It's been a yr since I hatched them so have to remember how long to leave it in there before removing it etc...

So, I candled them again today so that I could get a better look at the air cell. I haven't been able to find a good (that I can read!) photo diagram of goose eggs. I have been using duck egg candling as a gauge, but not sure that it's exactly the same (and of course the days will be different.) Here are two pics from tonight. Sorry for the lovely (sarcastic) photography and pencil drawing, but I need 3 hands and only have 2 while I'm doing this. All of them are very similar. I took one with light at air cell end, and one with it at the opposite end. The "10" is obviously 10 days and today is 18 (the very faint line near the top is day 0). Do they look right or do I need to lower humidity?

The one directly above looks like the air cell has grown quite a bit in 8 days, but I don't think too much, so I wouldn't lower humidity, since there's 10 more days to go. During the last week you can remove all the humidity for a day or two if the air cell doesn't look large enough.

Anyone else have input?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom