2016 Gosling Hatch-a-long

Awesome can't wait to see them. @8GeeseALaying

I am still wondering how long I should/can leave this gosling in the incubator and it still be safe?

Awesome can't wait to see them. @8GeeseALaying

I am still wondering how long I should/can leave this gosling in the incubator and it still be safe?
A problem with leaving new hatchlings for too long in an incubator is that with the heat, humidity, and bacteria from the hatched egg more bacteria starts to develop. I only leave chicks in there long enough to gain some strength. Then they're out and into the brooder, even if still damp. Some are taken out only after an hour. They dry off better if taken out of the damp environment of the incubator. They also rest better. Mine really rest well in the brooder since they go into the momma cave with heating pad.

Last edited:
A problem with leaving new hatchlings for too long in an incubator is that with the heat, humidity, and bacteria from the hatched egg more bacteria starts to develop.  I only leave chicks in there long enough to gain some strength.  Then they're out and into the brooder, even if still damp.  Some are taken out only after an hour.  They dry off better if taken out of the damp environment of the incubator.  They also rest better.  Mine really rest well in the brooder since they go into the momma cave with heating pad.

Thanks for your response. I put it in the tote with a water dish and food dish & with a heat lamp near to warm the temp up and I started out with shavings on newspaper but he slid over and was having trouble. So I decided to lay a towel in the bottom and he was still having trouble walking on shavings so I removed most of the shavings and now he's just comfortable in the tote. Peeping softly. Kinda reminds me of gosling snoring lol. Although I'm sure that's not it.
:D

How long after hatching do they eat and drink?

If memory serves me correctly, Usually drinking comes before the eating. Since they get a lot of nourishment from absorbing the yolk sac during hatch so they can go 36 hours before it's necessary for you to intervene. Make sure they always have fresh water to drink.

If memory serves me correctly, Usually drinking comes before the eating. Since they get a lot of nourishment from absorbing the yolk sac during hatch so they can go 36 hours before it's necessary for you to intervene. Make sure they always have fresh water to drink.

Ok thanks!

Back
Top Bottom