2016 Gosling Hatch-a-long

Here is my first baby. A 3/4 Chinese 1/4 tufted Roman. Waiting on the rest now. Next one is dark colored and then another white one. With 4 more still to pip.

8geese, congrats and look forward to updates with more pics as the rest hatch!

As for my goslings, the mom is a non-dewlap buff Toulouse and the dad is an African/Toulouse cross, so the babies are 3/4 Toulouse and 1/4 African.

Thanks lain. It's so nice to have goslings again. Looks like the brown was dominant in your babies. Except The first one in the second pic has a bill color that reminds me of my blue gosling I hatched. It will be interesting to see what that one turns out to be.

Still waiting on the others to come out. Got a feeling that I may have to help the dark one out. He pipped at the same time as this first one. I will give him until this evening and see what happens. The 3rd is still within the time limits, he pipped yesterday. Still waiting on the other 4 to externally pip, most are Ethel's eggs and I know her eggs can sometimes go 32 days, even under her.
Ethel has also went broody on 10 eggs(I think) I tried keeping her at 9 but she was never happy with that number lol and I believe she added one more before setting. Now if one of my other girls would go broody on their nest(also 9) I could quit worrying about egg counts and relax until they hatch.

Last edited:
I will also be curious to see how they develop. They hatched out a pair last year that turned out looking like Dad, but there appears to be more variety to this group. No clue how brown/grey on buff genetics works. Obviously momma is pure buff so there may be some buff coloring in one of them. I do not plan to rehome them right away so we will be able to see how they develop.

In the meantime, I'm super excited that my pair of white African eggs are looking good mid-way through incubation and I have three more white eggs on day 6 that are looking good too. I put the most recent pair of white eggs under a goose that looks to go broody any day now. If I am lucky, I should be able to hatch at least 2-3 white babies.
fl.gif

CUTE pics of the Goslings... Mine are getting close (8 eggs made it) ! Day 24 here and one egg looks to be close to internally pipping, nice huge air cell and I can see movement on the backside.. watching it close today and tomorrow for internal pip to up the humidity. I have one egg that is 2 days behind and one that is four days behind the original set, do I need to remove those to a second incubator or will they be ok ??

What do I do with a goslings that cant use its one leg? Will it adjust to not having it or no. It cant walk. It still has a pink bump under the belly.

Back
Top Bottom