2016 Gosling Hatch-a-long

Only have 3 photos but I'll get more soon! Geese were washing themselves so it was mad.

This is the first female to ever grow a dewlap in the first year.
This year was the first year to successfully have buff african females which I got 6 of!

One of my other Ganders

This is Oh Slender Wise One" my biggest African gander I ever had so far in the first year. First gander also to grow a big dewlap in the first year. He's the youngest of all my goslings and this nearly exactly 9 months old. Father is a Buff in African and mother is a brown African
smile.png

serv they' re gorgeous..

Hey Serv! Your geese look great! Look forward to hatching along with you in a few months. Speaking of hatching, I have one egg developing in my bator now. It was the only egg that I was able to grab right after laying and not subjected to the freezing overnight weather. I now have a few girls laying, but the eggs freeze/crack within hours as it has gotten frigid cold here. I asked my vet if I should be concerned about this weird breeding/laying phenomena, and he said he has been seeing it a lot this year because of the long warm fall season. He reassured me that they should be fine and have a normal laying season in March.

jackson.... 99.5 F for forced air and 101.5 for still air. If the eggs are fresh and have very little air cell, then I like to stick between 20-25% humidity. If the eggs have decent air cells, then I go with 35% humidity.

My solo buff dewlap egg is on day 12 and looking good. If it hatches, it will be a Xmas baby. The only bummer is I will have to pay highway robbery prices to get it a couple of brooder ducklings. But it will be worth it!

Okay, newbie here. I raise chickens, but want to raise a few geese this spring to put in the freezer. Can I give a broody hen a goose egg or two (that's it, just two goose eggs?)? Or could I put goose eggs in the incubator, then stick them under a hen for the last few days?
I don't have a pen to separate geese, but do have lots of space for them to range with the chickens or goats here in moderate-climate northern California.
Thanks for any help!

Last edited:
Okay, newbie here.  I raise chickens, but want to raise a few geese this spring to put in the freezer.  Can I give a broody hen a goose egg or two (that's it, just two goose eggs?)? Or could I put goose eggs in the incubator, then stick them under a hen for the last few days?  
I don't have a pen to separate geese, but do have lots of space for them to range with the chickens or goats here in moderate-climate northern California.
Thanks for any help!

Yes you can put two goose eggs under a chicken at any stage of incubation. Chickens are better at incubating goose eggs for various of reasons.
Geese can roam with any animal if enough space and it's best to have geese raised with chickens.

My surprise buff dewlap egg is rocking along, and on track to hatch on Christmas day. It would be such an awesome gift if this baby hatches, and a nice finale to the 2016 hatchalong thread.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom