22 week old "mystery" -- Sparring pullet or another cockerel?

Hi folks, I have two 21 week old chicks, both hatched here on our farm. One of them, named Paco, is no mystery. He had saddle feathers and a long tail at 10 weeks, started crowing at 12 weeks, trying mount the hens at 16 weeks, and now has a steady girlfriend laying eggs in a clutch. Looks like he'll be a papa soon, precocious little guy. He's the black and white painted fella.
IMG_20230405_124523.jpg

All the other pics are "Lucy" -- the mystery chick.

Here's why I was sure Lucy was a pullet:
1. Does not crow, never has.
2. Does not mount the hens
3. Holds body horizontal, chest pointing down
4. Feet appear to be fading in color, not as yellow as Paco's.

But when I see "her' fighting with Paco, I just don't know... She challenges him just as often as he challenges her. Her hackles go up and they fly at each other, totally like cockerels.
IMG_20230408_144734.jpg
Maybe because she is older by a day she wants to dominate? And "she" is pretty big, but the eggs came from a neighbor and our broody sat on them so I have no idea what mix of breeds they are.

I took some close up pics of "her" neck and saddle feathers. For the past couple days I'm thinking they are looking more pointy...?

I'm stumped. What do you folks think?

IMG_20230408_144913.jpg

IMG_20230408_144832.jpg

Which one? The black and white one is obviously. He crows and mates. The yellow/white one does not crow or mate. Just fights.
Both are extremely obvious cockerels. They have pointed saddles and male specific coloring. The less-dominant of the cockerels will often have delayed onset of sexual signals because of the dominant brother :)

Back
Top Bottom