22 week old "mystery" -- Sparring pullet or another cockerel?

Good grief, I am glad that I am not the only one. Two summers ago, I had a black pullet for months - never crowed, did not stand up... one day, I am thinking - when are you going to lay some eggs, and took a good look. Yep, a late blooming cockerel. I have had chickens for DECADES!

Mrs K
Thank you. I've felt so confused. I was like, yes those are saddle feathers alright, but why don't you crow? Or mate? Or stand up?
And the very weird thing is that the one I thought was a pullet hatched first and is bigger -- but the little black fella is dominant. I guess he just matured more quickly.

Ok, that makes sense. I was thinking that could be the case Thanks.
@Rhodebar Lover thanks for your help. I just have a question: Will Lucio (the late blooming cockerel) eventually come into his own and do rooster things (like crow, mate, and stand up) or will the dominance of his brother keep him in this limbo forever? If he'd be happier elsewhere, I can try to find him a home, but if I give him away in our area he's likelier to end up in a soup.

@Rhodebar Lover thanks for your help. I just have a question: Will Lucio (the late blooming cockerel) eventually come into his own and do rooster things (like crow, mate, and stand up) or will the dominance of his brother keep him in this limbo forever? If he'd be happier elsewhere, I can try to find him a home, but if I give him away in our area he's likelier to end up in a soup.

Do you know their breed? They seem like gamefowl to me. If that is the case, unless you separate them it's very unlikely that the dominant stag will let the other one mate

Do you know their breed? They seem like gamefowl to me. If that is the case, unless you separate them it's very unlikely that the dominant stag will let the other one mate
No, we had a broody hen and no rooster so I got some fertile eggs from my neighbor a farms up the road. We live in a very rural area in South America, none of the farmers keep pure chicken breeds here, they are all barnyard mixes.

Except for the people who breed fighting cocks, so it's possible these two have some fighting cock genes in them, but there's plenty of regular barnyard roosters around too. So I have no idea.

No, we had a broody hen and no rooster so I got some fertile eggs from my neighbor a farms up the road. We live in a very rural area in South America, none of the farmers keep pure chicken breeds here, they are all barnyard mixes.

Except for the people who breed fighting cocks, so it's possible these two have some fighting cock genes in them, but there's plenty of regular barnyard roosters around too. So I have no idea.

Well they definitely look like Oriental gamefowl mixes. They're either going to have a pretty serious fight, or the "common" chicken genes will take over and they could live somewhat peacefully. Only time will tell, if you prefer the stag that's not crowing for breeding separate him with a couple of hens and he should get going sooner rather than later

Well they definitely look like Oriental gamefowl mixes. They're either going to have a pretty serious fight, or the "common" chicken genes will take over and they could live somewhat peacefully. Only time will tell, if you prefer the stag that's not crowing for breeding separate him with a couple of hens and he should get going sooner rather than later
Thanks for your help. I'll give it a try. They've been pretty peaceable the past few days and I like them both, so just have to wait and see

Good grief, I am glad that I am not the only one. Two summers ago, I had a black pullet for months - never crowed, did not stand up... one day, I am thinking - when are you going to lay some eggs, and took a good look. Yep, a late blooming cockerel. I have had chickens for DECADES!

Mrs K
Thats funny, they usually crow pretty early lol. Or atleast try to.

Back
Top Bottom