29 week old Bantam stopped laying

Daniellelyn

Chirping
Apr 21, 2020
Helen, Georgia
Should I be concerned? We have a bantam chicken that started laying (in our cats house) September 17th at 22 weeks. She was laying 1 egg a day, then all of a sudden about 2 weeks ago she stopped laying? We are in North Georgia. They have a 10x16 shed as a coop with lights on from 7am-7pm
7A5480F3-8F96-46EB-87D8-3EB6E89FAF40.jpeg
12AE244C-0C0C-46B7-A394-5BD54C4E671C.jpeg
B5A6E106-3064-4500-9179-854488CB6542.jpeg
FC369849-A950-4244-9863-46A77AFA4AA4.jpeg
and she free ranges with the other 2 older ladies during the day. I have also been adding more chickens all younger to the flock, but have been doing it gradually. Is there something I should check to make sure she is ok? She is acting totally normal. These are our first batch of chickens so we want to make sure we are not missing anything.

Attachments

• 99F960F7-2AC9-4E42-85AF-003332003D89.jpeg
    99F960F7-2AC9-4E42-85AF-003332003D89.jpeg
    506.7 KB · Views: 3
she free ranges
Free range birds sometimes need to be 'trained'(or re-trained) to lay in the coop nests, especially new layers. Leaving them locked in the coop/run for a week or so can help 'home' them to lay in the coop nests. Fake eggs/golf balls in the nests can help 'show' them were to lay. They can be confined to coop and maybe run 24/7 for a few days to a week, provided you have adequate space and ventilation, or confine them at least until mid to late afternoon. You help them create a new habit and they will usually stick with it. ..at least for a good while, then repeat as necessary.

Thanks Aart,

I believe you have answered a question or two of mine in the past as well. I really appreciate you sharing your knowledge with me.

So do you think she is still laying? I do have fake eggs in the nesting boxes and she has laid in there in the past when I've locked her in.

I actually have a few questions, if you don't mind... Here's my current chicken situation...
we have,

3 hens 29 weeks
Barred Rock - lays everyday in coop
Bantam - stopped laying
Penedesenca - never laid

4 birds 16 weeks
2 silkie roosters
2 Brahams 1 hen 1 rooster

2 silkie hens - just added 1 1/2 weeks ago
20 / 24 weeks

4 silkies 7/8 weeks
in a kennel in the coop

So my questions are

The older hens are picking on the younger and newer birds to the point that they are hiding under the kennel from them when they are there, except at night when they are sleeping. There's no blood or feathers flying. Will they work this out on there own? I'm afraid to keep the 3 older ladies locked up all day with them, because I feel bad for the other 6 birds. They are mean girls.

on the other hand, I'm only getting 1 egg from all of them and I'm wondering if the 2 non layers are leaving them in the yard?

What do you suggest?

Finally, for the 4 silkies in the kennel. At what age should I start letting them mingle with the other birds? Without being locked in the kennel? They have been in there for about 1 week.

I really lone for the day when they are all getting along and not being bullied by the 3 mean girls. Any suggestion and advice is welcome.

So do you think she is still laying?
I have no idea.
Might do an exam and/or confine as described above.

Will they work this out on there own?
Whew, that's a lot of birds to get together!
Not sure what to suggest as I have only had 3 age groups one time, will never do that again.
Might want to start a new thread showing your coops and runs and cast members.

Lots of space.......
...and Integration Basics:
It's all about territory and resources(space/food/water).
Existing birds will almost always attack new ones to defend their resources.
Understanding chicken behaviors is essential to integrating new birds into your flock.

Confine new birds within sight but physically segregated from older/existing birds for several weeks, so they can see and get used to each other but not physically interact.

In adjacent runs, spread scratch grains along the dividing mesh, best if mesh is just big enough for birds to stick their head thru, so they get used to eating together.

The more space, the better.
Birds will peck to establish dominance, the pecked bird needs space to get away. As long as there's no copious blood drawn and/or new bird is not trapped/pinned down and beaten unmercilessly, let them work it out. Every time you interfere or remove new birds, they'll have to start the pecking order thing all over again.

Multiple feed/water stations. Dominance issues are most often carried out over sustenance, more stations lessens the frequency of that issue.

Places for the new birds to hide 'out of line of sight'(but not a dead end trap) and/or up and away from any bully birds. Roosts, pallets or boards leaned up against walls or up on concrete blocks, old chairs tables, branches, logs, stumps out in the run can really help. Lots of diversion and places to 'hide' instead of bare wide open run.
Good ideas for hiding places:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/a-cluttered-run.1323792/

I have no idea.
Might do an exam and/or confine as described above.

Whew, that's a lot of birds to get together!
Not sure what to suggest as I have only had 3 age groups one time, will never do that again.
Might want to start a new thread showing your coops and runs and cast members.

Lots of space.......
...and Integration Basics:
It's all about territory and resources(space/food/water).
Existing birds will almost always attack new ones to defend their resources.
Understanding chicken behaviors is essential to integrating new birds into your flock.

Confine new birds within sight but physically segregated from older/existing birds for several weeks, so they can see and get used to each other but not physically interact.

In adjacent runs, spread scratch grains along the dividing mesh, best if mesh is just big enough for birds to stick their head thru, so they get used to eating together.

The more space, the better. Birds will peck to establish dominance, the pecked bird needs space to get away. As long as there's no copious blood drawn and/or new bird is not trapped/pinned down and beaten unmercilessly, let them work it out. Every time you interfere or remove new birds, they'll have to start the pecking order thing all over again.

Multiple feed/water stations. Dominance issues are most often carried out over sustenance, more stations lessens the frequency of that issue.

Places for the new birds to hide 'out of line of sight'(but not a dead end trap) and/or up and away from any bully birds. Roosts, pallets or boards leaned up against walls or up on concrete blocks, old chairs tables, branches, logs, stumps out in the run can really help. Lots of diversion and places to 'hide' instead of bare wide open run.
Good ideas for hiding places:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/a-cluttered-run.1323792/

Thanks,
This is very helpful. I do have multiple feed and watering stations and also spread scratch and snacks throughout the day.
The younger birds are confined to the coop and the older ones jump a gate and go in and out all day. I think I will not worry about the eggs for now. Getting them to all get a long will be my first priority.

I was worried about them being afraid and hiding, but looks like that is ok. I watch them on the camera and they do come out to eat. They also all come out when I’m in there as well.

Thanks again for all of your advise :)

super! That's what I was really hoping.

As for the 3 boys, currently they have all been raised together, are pretty docile and are getting along. If they start to act up then I will find them a loving home. I have already re-homed 2 roosters that we got with the original 3. I am really hoping that the youngest 4 silkies in the pen are all hens. Currently, no combs or wattles, but it's too soon to tell and would be asking for a small miracle. Not getting my hopes up yet.

Back
Top Bottom