3 chicks being picked on

Macmimi

In the Brooder
Apr 24, 2023
BELLEFONTAINE OHIO
I have 10 chicks almost 4 weeks old.. last week 2 of the light brahmas were bloody with tail feathers gone and necks raw where they had been pecked. The other brahma had only one spot so decided to separate them with a see thru screen. This has worked very well. They have healed. I decided to remove screen and within 10 minutes were being pecked and one had a small spot on rump so I just separated them again. I have them in a 5x3 box which I'm sure I will need to enlarge. My question is will they always need to be separated now?

Can you expand the brooding space? Like get extra boxes and tape them together to form a larger box?
I think my husband will be bringing a couple large boxes home today so I can do that. Do you think at some point they will be able to stay in the same coop or do you think they'll always need to be separated?

I think my husband will be bringing a couple large boxes home today so I can do that. Do you think at some point they will be able to stay in the same coop or do you think they'll always need to be separated?
They should be able to stay in the same coop and run, I don't see why not (unless you have a bird that's just neurotic about picking at others, but that's a separate issue). Your problem right now is your brooder isn't spacious enough for these particular chicks (you meet the recommended minimum, but each bird is an individual and may not agree with said minimums) and probably lack distractions to keep them busy, so they're turning on each other out of boredom.

They should be able to stay in the same coop and run, I don't see why not (unless you have a bird that's just neurotic about picking at others, but that's a separate issue). Your problem right now is your brooder isn't spacious enough for these particular chicks (you meet the recommended minimum, but each bird is an individual and may not agree with said minimums) and probably lack distractions to keep them busy, so they're turning on each other out of boredom.
I was able to get another bigger better box! So much larger. I put grass clods, dirt for dirt baths, a mirror, and since I had 2 perches in the other box put those in there and added another one. They were so so happy! And so was I! Until I got up this morning. The one chick that was targeting them before started in again. She's really mean to them. The one light brahma that still had her tail feathers has lost most of them to her. So I separated the one doing the targeting and damage. I have her in another box. I'm not sure why she goes after the light brahmas and not the others but I'm praying that by separating her for a few days it will help. We are working on the coop now, which is another whole thing lol sometimes I think I got in over my head. 🥴 I know it will be worth it it can just be overwhelming since it's my first time and I got 10 to start with lol their personalities are awesome! It's fun watching them and seeing them grow. Now if the mean one will just chill out haha

Back
Top Bottom