3 eggs?!

Jessica89

Chirping
5 Years
Oct 9, 2014
North Wales
Hello,
The past two days, my duck hasnt been laying.
I went to let them out this morning and there were 3 eggs!
Is it possible to lay 3 eggs in one night?
Unless my other female duck has laid one but there is still an extra one? Strange!

Maybe they had them hidden? My females hid their eggs under their bedding before they went broody

Hello,
The past two days, my duck hasnt been laying.
I went to let them out this morning and there were 3 eggs!
Is it possible to lay 3 eggs in one night?
Unless my other female duck has laid one but there is still an extra one? Strange!
I have learned that, at least in theory, anything is possible with poultry. However, while it takes a chicken aprox. 25 hours to make an egg it takes a duck aprox. 24 hours. So, the ability to lay more than one egg in a 24 hour period would seem to not be possible. That said, I have a Khaki Campbell that I swear lays more than one egg in a day every few months.

Keep in mind that ducks are really good at hiding their eggs. They will hide and/or bury an egg then when they lay another egg they will fetch the hidden egg and put them together in the same place. I suspect they are just playing with us and that is why a ducks quack often sounds like laughter.

Awwww! How sweet.
The little tinker must have hidden them well then!
I wonder if shes going broody? I want to hatch them myself in the incubator so i can hand rear them!

Awwww! How sweet.
The little tinker must have hidden them well then!
I wonder if shes going broody? I want to hatch them myself in the incubator so i can hand rear them!
If your females and your drake have been mating then you probably have a 50/50 chance they are fertilized. You could give it a try and see what happens. How big is your incubator? Three eggs seems small for a full sized incubator. I don't know if you would have to adjust for the small number of eggs or not.

Back
Top Bottom