3 feet of harware cloth protects against raccoons?

tracecom

Songster
10 Years
Jan 16, 2010
I don't understand how 1/2" hardware cloth along the bottom of a fence provides protection from raccoons. What prevents them from climbing to the top of the hardware cloth, and entering the run just as they would if the hardware cloth wasn't there? I can see how it would prevent them from reaching through, but nothing more.

I believe it is only meant against reach thru for when the chooks are on the ground.
Fencing above the HC should be small enough to deter access. 2x4 would probably keep most out but not baby coons...and of course you'd need a roof on the run too to keep anything from coming in the top.

I believe it is only meant against reach thru for when the chooks are on the ground.
Fencing above the HC should be small enough to deter access. 2x4 would probably keep most out but not baby coons...and of course you'd need a roof on the run too to keep anything from coming in the top.
It's easy to get paranoid, I suppose.

Ive found out that no metter how well built a coop is...critters still find a way in...here where I live we have possums...I have a coop that I made myself with boards and s tuff people threw away..its not the prettiest, but it serves its purpose...havent lost a hen yet...but found a possum in it this morning..it triggered the ELMER FUDD in me...I went through the whole coop and run reinforcing...keeping my pellet gun loaded though just in case

However, if I ever have a mink or weasel discover I'm here, I'll have to do more reinforcement with hardware cloth. I have the whole roof covered in hardware cloth secure to the rafters and itself, with the roofing material them screwed down over the hardware cloth and into the rafters.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom