Enclosed Run Protection

Dools02

Hatching
Jul 3, 2023
Sydney, Australia
Hi there!
I’m building up an enclosed run and coop and have read up on a wealth of information on the boards but am still unsure about one thing.

The walk-in run will be completely enclosed, build out of timber posts set in the ground and joined by 2x4s. My original idea was to use 1/2 inch hardware cloth on all 5 sides of the rectangular prism that is the run. From reading up though, I want to use 1/4 inch cloth to help keep out rats and mice. The issue is that this seems to limit my wire gauge to 19 which will be too thin for predators - mainly foxes in my area. A few people have recommended using both cloth sizes, but this seems like overkill.

So my question, would I be better off using 1/2” 16 gauge for the entire run and then running a single length of 1/4” 19 gauge cloth at the base (on top of the 1/2”) or the reverse where I use 1/4” for maximum vermin protection and then a single length of 1/2” and bank on the fact that the foxes are unlikely to climb up 3 feet before chewing their way in?

I will also be putting timber boards on the base of the walls and fitting a skirt between these boards and digging it in to prevent burrowing.

Thanks in advance for the help!

1/2" Hardware Cloth will be fine for keeping most the mice out.
Putting smaller wire down low won't make much difference as they can climb quite well.

As long as your 1/2" HC is tight and flat and well attached(screws and washers) not much risk for larger preds to tear thru, tho some have larger heavier mesh backing the HC.

Do you have anti-dig apron all around the run?

Oh, and... Welcome to BYC! @Dools02
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1688395508987.png

Thank you for the quick reply! :)

I hear you on the smaller wire down low not making much of a difference. I was not really in favour of that option.

A lot of what I have read other people say though is that 1/2” is too big a hole to keep mice out and they can get through those gaps pretty easily.

I was leaning more towards using 1/4” all over and backing it with 16 gauge 1/2” cloth as well for the bottom 3 feet or so to stop bigger ones getting through - the 19 gauge on the 1/4” just sounds too weak on its own. Plus I really can’t see a fox hanging on the side of the run a few feet up to chew a hole in it. Surely they would chew it nearer to the ground and then give up when they hit the thicker wire.

It’s a definite yes on the anti-dig apron and the washers for attachment as well.

Thank you again!

Agreed with the responders. 1/4 HC in my opinion is unnecessary. As well, if your goal is to also enjoy looking through at them in the run, 1/4 just makes it a little harder to see and less transparent. That said probablycouldn't go wrong with it as an apron, though again, may not necessary and for sure it is not commonly used. I use a staple gun to attach my hardware cloth and haven't had any issues with it. It makes it very quick and easy to hang and attach (quite gratifying too!) I don't have mountain lions charging the fence so I can't say it'll hold up against that but Im not sure screws and washers would either. Here's a picture of it. I then placed thin strips of plywood over this more as a finish than anything else. but that also helps reinforce it.
D10E21AB-A5F0-41F3-99A0-BA0C1B9AC5E5_1_105_c.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom