3 Great Chicken Boredom Busters, especially for Pullets/cockerels!!

Feb 20, 2021
Got chickens that get bored inside, but can't free range too much because of preds? Pick on each other too much? Yeah, me too. So I read about these fun activities for them and thought of my own ideas too:

1. Broccoli/lettuce piñata

materials needed:
1 head of broccoli or lettuce
string
a place to hang it (ceiling, branch, wall, etc.)

Wrap your string around the head of vegetables, make sure to make a knot that is super tight. make sure it will be a little higher off the ground then the chicken's heads will be. They love a good jump. They will happily bite off pieces of it bit by bit. You can replace the vegetable after they eat it.

2. Treat hunt

materials needed:
lots of their favorite treats!
places to hide them.

Shoo your chickens out of the coop for a short time for them to free range a little bit while you get the activity ready. Basically you will give them their own Easter hunt. Once they are all out of the coop, make sure they can't see where you are hiding them at first. Make sure the treats are plenty and everywhere, so lower pecking-order chickens can get a chance too. Then shoo them back in and watch them play! It's fun to see them explore, and find the treats.

3. Leaf pile treat pool

materials needed:
all the leaves you can rake up
treats

Rake up about one wheelbarrow full of leaves from the ground. Bring the leaves inside your coop (run, preferably) and either spread them out or just leave them in a pile, like a pool. get some treats they like, and while they watch you, hide them under the leaves. They will learn that if they dig in the leaves, they will uncover their favorite treats!! This is very fun to watch.

Thanks for reading!! Tell me in the comments how your chickens liked it, and what they did. Enjoy!!

Credits:
Broccoli piñata from Kid's Guide to Raising Chickens
Leaf pool: me
Treat hunt: me

Be careful with too many treats, not good for them overall.
Plenty of ways to 'enrich' their environment with entertainments with including 'treats'.

The leaf pile needs no treats, will love scratching thru it on it own.
Lots of other ways too...clutter up that run!
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/a-cluttered-run.1323792/

3. Leaf pile treat pool

materials needed:
all the leaves you can rake up
treats

Rake up about one wheelbarrow full of leaves from the ground. Bring the leaves inside your coop (run, preferably) and either spread them out or just leave them in a pile, like a pool. get some treats they like, and while they watch you, hide them under the leaves. They will learn that if they dig in the leaves, they will uncover their favorite treats!! This is very fun to watch.

The leaf pile needs no treats, will love scratching thru it on it own.

Just what I was going to say.

A new pile of pine straw keeps my ladies occupied for several days -- especially if it contains a few bugs to munch on.

Back
Top Bottom