3 week old baby chick with clear liquid coming out of mouth.

sezua

Chirping
9 Years
Apr 27, 2014
Texas
I have a 3 week old baby chick who has been mouth breathing when she rests. I checked her mouth and throat and everything seems normal. This morning I noticed clear liquid coming out of her mouth. I checked her crop and it is empty. I held her up to hear her breathing and it sounds a tiny bit rattly in there. I am concerned because one of my full grown hens outside recently died with having liquid coming out of her mouth and chronic diarrhea. I had one hen checked and hookworms were confirmed though a lab tested fecal sample. I have been treating my outdoor flock with valbenzen and rotating with safeguard hoping that I can get rid of them in time. As far as the baby chicks they have only been outside only one time for about an hour because it has been raining so much. Could they have gotten worms this quickly or is this something else? She is is a crele orpington that comes from a reputable breeder and has been vaccinated for mareks.
Any suggestions are most appreciated.
Thank you.

You could try the chick with Tylan or LS50, which is a combination of lincomycin and spectinomycin, for a respiratory disease. From what I have read the dosage is 1 tsp per gallon of water for 7 days. Tylan 50 dosae is1/4 ml daily by mouth. Without testing or a necrospy, it is just guesswork on telling what is wrong. Respiratory diseases such as MG can show up around 3 weeks old in chicks. Here is a link to MG, coryza, ILT, infectious bronchitis, and other respiratory diseases to compare symptoms: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

I really don't want to start antibiotics this soon but I was wondering if I should. I will do whatver is best for all of them. I have oxytet is that the same as Tylan?

I will start with the oxytet since I have some here already. It is about a year old so hopefully the powder does not lose potency i checked the expiration and its says 11/15. I have stored in a ziploc bag in a cabinet so it should be fine. I am now trying to find the correct dose since they are 3 weeks old everything is for full grown chickens. Does anyone know the correct dose for baby chicks?
thanks for your help!

Last edited:
I got some tylovet at the feed store will the dosage be the same since they are babies?

Back
Top Bottom