3 Year Old Hens & Molting

sierra123

Chirping
Sep 7, 2021
Hello! I have 11 hens, not sure if they're golden comets or cinnamon queens. But definitely production breed. I got 9 of them in 2020 at a "brand new to egg-laying" age and the other 2 last year. I'm wondering if it's normal for them at age 3 to look a little more scraggly and for egg production to decrease? I figure the egg production is normal. I get 5-7 a day now but they have all laid consistently, for the most part, for these last 3 years. They have even laid throughout the winter too (I don't use lights). I'm just wondering what's normal with age and I want to rule out any disease. I'm now getting some wrinkly shells, softer shells, and bumpy/misshapen eggs despite nothing environmental changing. This is what concerns me.

As far as feathers... a few have developed bald spots. They molted and just never recovered. Just today I noticed one had a slightly purple comb. I'm putting the pieces together a d not sure if I should be concerned, I'm worried they may have an infection or disease, but I've also heard these breeds just go downhill after 2-3 years.

Any thoughts? Does this sound normal?

They eat a 16% layer feed with crushed flax and the brand "Fresh Eggs Daily" brewers yeast with garlic supplement. They have free access to crushed oyster shell and grit.

Back
Top Bottom