Why are my hens molting for the fourth time their first year?

I understand they molt three times their first year
They will molt 3 times before ~6 months of age.

Knowing breed, numbers, housing, what all and how exactly you are feeding might offer some clues.
Also....
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1710327410778.png

Have they been stressed in any fashion? Feed change, shortage of water, predator attack, anything outside of their normal husbandry routine?
Thank you for your quick response. Everything in their world has been routine & needs are being met. The only change was a 10 day confinement the end of Feb into March. They have been confined at times through the winter, but this was the longest period. Super cold with lots of wind. They have an 8'x12' coop with heat if needed. That could have been the stressor. Thanks again for your insight.

They will molt 3 times before ~6 months of age.

Knowing breed, numbers, housing, what all and how exactly you are feeding might offer some clues.
Also....
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
View attachment 3770697
Thank you for the info. I have 16 Barred Rocks. In a heated 8x12 coop & a 10x40’ run.
I feed fermented grains once a day with an afternoon snack (usually veggies & scratch).

Last edited:
... a heated 8x12 coop & a 10x400' run.
How are you heating?
If it's with a heating lamp then the changes when it is turned on and off may be the culprit.

I feed fermented grains once a day with an afternoon snack (usually veggies & scratch).
What exactly are the grains?
Are they formulated for poultry, with the needed minerals, vitamins, amino acids?

Given your location so far north with the combination of being kept inside at times, I wonder what their vitamin D levels are like. Most formulated feeds take into consideration the natural production of vitamin D from sunlight, so they don't supply the level that is actually needed for health. And eggs take some of that.

A molt this time of year is not normal.

How are you heating?
If it's with a heating lamp then the changes when it is turned on and off may be the culprit.

Are they formulated for poultry, with the needed minerals, vitamins, amino acids?
Heat with an electric infrared wall heater. My grains are from a local Hutterite poultry farm.

How are you heating?

Coop is heated with infrared wall heater. I get my feed from a local Hutterite poultry farm

Back
Top Bottom