3 yo Frennie needs help

Rachelle Elaine

Songster
Mar 28, 2021
Castroville, Texas (San Antonio)
2 days ago I noticed Frennie not acting like herself. She wasn't walking around a lot she did kind of have a waddle to her walk and her poop was watery (it looked normal but watered down).Her crop felt like a water balloon. I thought she was egg bound possibly so that night when I was making sure she got to the roost okay, I noticed a broken soft shell hanging from her vent. Also there was egg on the poop shelf.
I was in worried maybe not all the eggshell came out. So I decided to give her an Epsom salt bath.
After the third bath over the course of the next day I felt comfortable feeling around on the outside to see if I felt anything around the vent area -nothing. But she was still lethargic and not really eating or drinking much.
I was surprised to see her out of the coop this morning walking around a bit but slowly not interested in treats or food I gave her some fresh water and sprinkled some crumbles in it along with drops of the kickin Chicken that's what it's in the photo.She drank some.
I was thinking she started with egg bound and now maybe moved on to sour crop? I don't smell anything but my allergies are terrible right now and therefore can't smell much. I thought I would try her on the antifungal treatment 2% but I thought I'd post on here and get some feedback first.

PXL_20230822_131426383.jpg
PXL_20230822_131457701.jpg
PXL_20230822_131526682.jpg

She needs calcium citrate for a few days, at least 600 + vitamin D3 to help expel the lingering residues of the broken egg which can cause severe infection and even death if they stay inside.

You can use the kind that supermarkets carry for humans. Just sit her on your lap head facing forward, pull down on her wattles and she will open up her beak. Quickly insert the tablet and let go of her wattles so she can swallow.

Feel her lower abdomen, is it swollen, hard or wobbly like a water filled balloon?

Last edited:
She needs calcium citrate for a few days, at least 600 + vitamin D3 to help expel the lingering residues of the broken egg which can cause severe infection and even death if they stay inside.

You can use the kind that supermarkets carry for humans. Just sit her on your lap head facing forward, pull down on her wattles and she will open up her beak. Quickly insert the tablet and let go of her wattles so she can swallow.

Feel her lower abdomen, is it swollen, hard or wobbly like a water filled balloon?
not hard - it feels soft but not abnormal to me. like thick dough? she doesnt seem to mind me feeling on her either.

I would give her a 600 mg calcium citrate with D3 tablet every day for a week to see if her shells become hard. If she is having a reproductive problem the crop may become slow and a problem as well. Consider worming her as well with Valbazen or SafeGuard. Worms can cause a blockage too.
she took her first Calcium Citrate D3 tablet a few hours ago. Thank you - I will get my hands on the dewormer too

Her crop felt like a water balloon. I thought she was egg bound possibly so that night when I was making sure she got to the roost okay, I noticed a broken soft shell hanging from her vent. Also there was egg on the poop shelf.

I was thinking she started with egg bound and now maybe moved on to sour crop?
I agree, I'd get the calcium into her for several days.

If her crop is not emptying overnight, then I'd begin addressing that symptom according to this article https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

It's not uncommon for a crop to slow when a hen is having reproductive issues, so treat her symptoms as they arise. Deworming is a good idea too.

Update on Frennie from this morning.
Day 3 of Cal. Citrate + D3. Day 1 of deworming.
She is very very warm- feverish.
Crop is more of a lump than anything lately. She doesnt seem to be eating much and is looking between her legs often?
I have included a potential useless photo of her poo. It was a small amount of semisolid and then a foamy white that resembled spit.
I plan on uploading a video where you can hopefully see her shape and the looking down underneath herself.
PXL_20230824_133114407.jpg
Screenshot 2023-08-24 084542.jpg

Back
Top Bottom