33"x48" doghouse - coop for 4 chickens?

dftkarin

Songster
11 Years
Jun 27, 2008
In my local freecycle someone is offering a wooden doghouse, 48" long, 33" wide, with a sloped roof from 32" to 38" - I know its a stretch but could this be converted into a coop for 4 chickens?

It would work for four bantams, it would be tight for four adults. I didn't notice where you're from, but if you're in a cold area you're either going to be happy for so many in such a small space because they can keep each other warm, or have problems because of picking. I think the main issue is whether they get plenty of run space/time or not. If you don't have a lot of really bad days, and they get to go out in a run on the rest, you might be fine. If they are going to spend days on end shut in together, well, that's where picking comes in.

The floor space is not optimal, but people do worse. My biggest reservation would be the height, 2.5' high hardly leaves much room for roosts. Putting the roosts 12" off the floor will cut down on your floor space.

I would say 4 hens would definately be comfortable in there, as long as they have daily access outside, even in the winter. I have 8 chickens in a 4x5 dog house. They have a cover run and are only in the dog house for laying and nightly protection. My girsl have been happy for 4 years with no probs or feather picking/fighting or anything...

...post pics.

In my dog house coop I made a free-standing, removable roost that's a couple of inches off the ground. They use it just fine, and because I can take it out it makes for easy cleaning. I do agree that 4 would be a little tight, but it would work with a big run.

It sounds fine as long as they've got a lot of daytime space... maybe free-range.

I used a doghouse for 4 chickens and it was fine. We built in a draw for pulling out the poop under the roost (which was only a few inches high. We added a couple nesting boxes to the side to give them more room.

I changed to a bigger coop cause I got more chickens and I wanted to put in insulation for winter ... and then it would be too small.

The good thing about a small coop for a small group of chickens is that in winter they can huddle together for warmth.

Here's a photo. I've got more if you're interested.

dhcoop1.jpg

I have 2 dog houses, similar McGoo's... I have 3 standard and 3 bantams (one is a little D'uccle) ... I had hoped that I could separate them into the 2 houses, with three in each.... BUT NOOOO! lol... they all want to be in one house together. Even though they were each added at different times, they new one would move herself right on in with the others. No picking so far.

A general rul;e of thumb is 4 sq ft for standard breeds, and 3 to 3.5 for bantams.

You will know if it is too tight because they will be stressed and fight and egg production will be poor.

Here in WA with the rain, I prefer to go on the generous side of 4 with standards, and then they can stay inside if its too wet (which is often).

I like using doghouses for breeding trios.

Hope this helps

Back
Top Bottom